Packed full of features, the Schwinn 830 is an excellent choice!
Every year new treadmills come out that make you wonder why you spent so much money in the past on the features that you really need! The Schwinn 830 Treadmill is different!
Who is the Schwinn 830 designed for?
Schwinn have managed to pack a huge amount into this machine and yet kept the price under $800. I want to see if they have sacrificed performance and reliability to keep the price low, or if this is really a great deal!
What are the main benefits of the Schwinn 830 ?
At the heart of this treadmill is a powerful 2.75 CHP motor. If you know your treadmills then you will see that there is easily enough power here to propel you to up to the 12mph limit of this machine. For safety reasons there are not many treadmills that go over 12 MPH, which after all is a 5 minute mile! So there is plenty of speed here for even the fastest runners.
Proper Belt Size
Trouble with running fast is that your stride length increases, and here the Schwinn has a tiny fault with its belt length of 55″ its a little bit off some of the huge 60″ models that you see at around $1500. However so long as you are not over 6’2″ then you should not have any worries about being able to run comfortably at high speeds with this machine.
The final main feature is the incline. The Schwinn 830 has a built in 12% incline that gives the extra edge to the workout.
All in all there is plenty here to keep everyone happy from new runners to experienced fitness fans.
Schwinn 830 Tech: My fitness Pal
In the introduction I mentioned the features that just did not exist on treadmills a couple of years ago? My favourite app at the moment is myfitnesspal. If you have not checked it out yet you should, its perfect for tracking weight loss and the amount of exercise you take. Whats great is that the Schwinn connects to your MFP app and quickly and easily tracks the workout and off sets the calories you burn with the amount you have eaten that day to give a prediction on how much weight you will lose!
To keep you entertained during your work out there is a great “media ledge” that can take a tablet or iPad safely. Also there is a built in USB port for charging any devices you may be using while working out. What’s great is that this shelf has been positioned well, its above the console and controls and has the speakers (which are not bad either) both sides of the tablet. This means that if you are watching a film then the sound comes from the screen, not off set which can sound strange.
The Built In Workouts
There are 22 built in workouts with the Schwinn 830, these include 1 manual, 3 quick goals, 5 training, 3 weight control, 5 heart heath, 3 interval and 2 custom workouts. With the custom workouts there is plenty here to keep you motivated. My favourite workouts are the fitness tests that allow you to benchmark improvements over time and really help develop my speed and fitness!
All the heart workouts need you to hold the contacts on the machine, which is not great while running at full speed. However you can also add a chest strap for hands free measurement! If you go for the next model up, the Schwinn 870 then it comes with a chest strap included.
Comparison of key features with the Schwinn 830 Treadmill
- Track Size
Schwinn 830 Treadmill$1499
- 12 Degrees
- 2.75 CHP
- 20" x 55"
Schwinn 870 Treadmill$1799
- 15 Degrees
- 3 CHP
- 20" x 60"
Other Features of the Schwinn 830 Treadmill:
|Belt||1 ply, 1.5 mm thickness|
|Belt Size||20″ W X 55″ L|
|Cushioning||4 cell SoftTrak cushioning system|
|Fan||Yes – 3 Speed|
|Speakers||Yes – Sealed Acoustic|
|Max. User Weight||300 lbs / 136 kg|
|Warranty||10 year frame, 10 year motor, 2 year mechanical, 2 year electronics, 1 year labor|
Frequent questions about the Schwinn 830 Treadmill:
- Ease of assembly. One of the difficulties with large treadmill like this is assembly. If you are concerned then the easiest answer is to add treadmill construction packages to the order, for some the $100 or so extra is worth the peace of mind! If you have two people and don’t mind a little DIY then this should be together in about 2 hours from start to finish. The hardest part is getting the base into place the rest simply bolts together. The whole package weighs in at about 222lbs all in a single box!
- Overall height above the floor: If you have low ceilings or are quite tall then you should add the following to your height to ensure a good fit: At 0% incline the belt is 9″ from the floor, at full inclination its 14″.
- Moving the treadmill: It is a folding treadmill and has a couple of trolley wheels on the front, so it moves easily across smooth surfaces. I would not like to move it up and down stairs once assembled!
What do other reviews make of the Schwinn 830 Treadmill?
This is a new treadmill, launched at the end of last year for this season. Already it has picked up a score of great reviews! Most are 5 stars, where 1 star reviews have been placed they have been made by people that Schwinn cannot find in their system?
“Love this treadmill! Very sturdy, lots of nice features for the price!”
“I’m very pleased with my new Schwinn 830 Treadmill”
Overall the reviews are positive, the only negatives seem to be due to either lack of comprehension of the instructions or random complaints.
Does the Schwinn 830 treadmill really work?
This year has proven to be a great year to buy a new treadmill, there is so much to choose from. All come with features that were unheard of just a couple of years ago. For us the Schwinn 830 Treadmill is one of the outstanding picks of the bunch. So long as you have a friend to help with assembly then you will have a great treadmill here for well under $1000.
Schwinn 830 Treadmill Review Summary:
- Extra-large high-resolution blue backlit LCD monitor
- Charging USB port and data export to schwinnconnect.com or myfitnesspal.com
- Everything to meet your fitness goals: 0 to 12 MPH, 0 to 12% incline, 2.75 CHP motor, 20-Inch x 55-Inch belt, 22 programs, 2 user profiles and more
- Acoustic chambered speakers for big sound
- 2.5-Inch crowned rollers, Soft Drop folding system, 300 lbs. max user weight