At Optimum-Fitness we are experts on Recumbent Exercise bikes, they are a regular part of our exercise routines and we know what makes a good bike, and which to avoid. Thats why we have all the Recumbent Bike Reviews you need to choose your next exercise partner.
We present the Best Buy Recumbent Bikes of 2022
With a larger adjustable seat and clear console, its easy to mount up the hours of cycling with this bike. The near silent drive makes it a great choice for watching TV or catching up on some reading.
Its no wonder that this is one of the top selling bikes on Amazon!
- Recumbent stationary bike offers challenging cardiovascular workout while minimizing stress on your joints and back. Adjustable height
- Eight-level Magnetic Tension Control System allows you to customize your ride and challenge yourself over time
- Large, easy-to-read LCD display indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, and heart rate information
- Measures 22 by 34 by 54 inches (W x H x D) with 63-pound weight and 300-pound maximum user weight
- Includes limited one-year manufacturer's warranty
- Foldable recumbent exercise bike with quiet V-belt double-drive transmission system
- Precision-balanced flywheel; 8-level adjustable magnetic tension control system
- Easy-to-read LCD display tracks your distance, calories, time, speed, and heart rate
- Semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit; large seat cushion and backrest
- Supports up to 300 pounds; Product setup dimensions: 33"L x 19"W x 46"H
- Goal Track capability enables user to set individual exercise goals
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system for easy start-up and smooth, quiet workouts
- DualTrackTM 2 LCD screen displays offer increased visibility to programs and goal tracking
- 22 preset workout programs: 9 profile, 8 heart rate control, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start
- Seat rail slider system with easy adjust lever customizes the fit for each user
- Charging USB port to keep phones, tablets or music players at full battery life
- MP3 input to listen to your favorite playlist through in-console speakers
- Bluetooth® connectivity, syncs with the Schwinn Trainer App and other apps for fitness tracking
- Sync with free downloadable RideSocialTM App and see the world as you virtually ride alongside friends in real time
- 29 programs: 12 profile, 9 heart rate control, 4 custom, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start
- 25 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system with a perimeter weighted flywheel for easy start up and smooth, consistent workouts
- DualTrackTM LCD displays, media shelf, in-console speakers with MP3 input port, USB media charging and adjustable fan
First the benefits of exercising on a recumbent bike!
Unlike an upright bike where all your weight is pressed down on a tiny saddle the most recumbent exercise bikes feature a large padded seat. This spreads the weight and takes the pressure off your rear. Being far more comfortable means that you can exercise for longer. As you are sitting on a wide comfortable seat its far easier to balance your weight. This leaves your hands free to hold a book or a magazine, in-fact some high end recumbent bikes also feature built in TV screens, or show beautiful landscape rides as you move along. To start with lets look at the list of Recumbent Bikes we have Reviewed. This table is easy to use, rank each bike by brand, by price
Why buy an indoor exercise bike in the first place (yet alone a recumbent)?
If your goal is to either lose weight or to get fitter then along with a healthy diet you need to exercise. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere with nice weather then you may prefer to go running. Of course for running, all you need is a pair of trainers and you are set to go. Running is definitely the simplest form of exercise to get into. Come winter, or baking hot summers though, lots of people prefer to exercise indoors. This is where exercise bikes and recumbent exercise bikes come in useful.
Depending on your personal preference you may wish to look at various options, such as treadmills, ellipticals, weight training etc. For many though the recumbent bike is the most versatile choice.
The Family Recumbent
The key advantage of the exercise bikes is that they are very accessible by all members of the household. If you have joint pain then running may not be ideal, and often men don’t like training on elliptical machines. This exercise bikes are often the first piece of exercise equipment bought by many.
Modern recumbent exercise bikes, such as the popular Schwinn 270 recumbent, or the Sole Light Commercial Recumbent, now employ a host of advanced features. These range from the simple use of high quality materials to keep you comfortable to sophisticated displays to keep precise track of your workouts. Nearly all bikes have easily adjustable resistance increments, and feature heart rate trackers to keep your exercise tempo at precisely the right level to give excellent workout results.
You may be thinking that these features are common to all exercise bikes. You would be right! What sets the recumbent bikes apart is the seating position. With a recumbent bike you are sitting down comfortably in reclined position. The first thing to note is that recumbent bikes are always bigger than their upright equivalents, and this does tend to make them a little more expensive! However it does bring a host of advantages.
Comfort and Durability
Being sat in this position takes a huge amount of pressure from the saddle. Recumbents are much more comfortable than an upright. This also means that the riders weight is far better distributed across the frame of the bike. This leads to longer lasting parts and components. Recumbent bikes, such as the recumbents we review on this site are incredibly durable. Its not uncommon to find bikes with lifetime frame warranty!
One of the biggest issues, especially if coming back to exercise after a long break or injury, is joint pain. This is where recumbent bikes score big. The lack of pressure on the main joints, hips, knees, ankles means that it is possible to ride these bikes. Treadmills and upright bikes still apply a huge amount of pressure to the joints, and running in particular can be incredibly stressful on injuries. The impact on the body tissue on an exercise bike can prevent injuries from healing properly.
When sitting in a recumbent the bike almost forces you into the perfect riding position. You are sat nearly upright, arms by your sides, and legs resting on the pedals in front of you. This makes them great for long periods of exercise and helps you get better results.
Do you only have space for a folding Recumbent exercise bike?
Actually this is not a problem. While there are not many on the market there are plenty of folding recumbent bikes to choose from. The big plus is that they tend to be the lower end of the price range. We have reviewed a number of Folding Recumbent Exercise Bikes, such as the Sunny and Health Folding Recumbent Bike and the Exerpeutic 400XL. Both of these options come in at less than $150 and are great options for new users tight on space.
What is important when buying a recumbent exercise bike?
Ok so if you have made it this far and you are now considering buying a recumbent exercise bike then we will list the features that give the best bang for the buck! Often a recumbent bike is the first piece of exercise equipment that people buy. This can make the choice even harder, as you may not know the best brands to choose or what are the best models in each price bracket.
The first consideration should be price. You need to choose a budget and stick to it. Try not to be tempted into buying a more expensive recumbent bike than you intend to. Manufactures are very good at getting customers part with with a few extra $ for additional features they may not need. A rule of thumb for quality is that you often get a better quality bike buying the entry level model from a higher end manufacturer, than a fully featured model from a lower quality producer.
All our Recumbent Bike reviews By Price:
|Diamondback 510SR Fitness Recumbent Bike||$707.56|
|Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike||$149.00|
|Nautilus R614 Recumbent Bike||$343.63|
|Nautilus R618 Recumbent Bike||$799.00|
|Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike||$429.00|
|Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike||$549.00|