thompson high school football coachesthompson high school football coaches

Coach Freeman led the Rebels to four State Championships in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007. Located about 20 miles south of Birmingham, Alabaster is known for its industry and the minerals it mines. Ganus said hes excited to helm the Blue Devils, even though it will be much different than his work with Thompson. He has built a powerhouse at Thompson winning four state championships in a row. Thomson's stats have been entered for the 32-27 win vs. Fitzgerald on 12/9/2022 12:00 PM. The great thing is that Thompson has found peace in it all. 258 Following. That's the predominately Birmingham-based region in the Alabama High School Athletic Association's largest playing classification. Fegans is among Alabamas latest commitments, going public last month after decommitting from Miami. Its very much a work-hard-for-what-you-get community. Here's an updated ranking of how Class 7A, Region 3's salary structure adds up: The salary data isn't everything. The 2019 season began a streak of three consecutive state football championships for Thompson High School. During his time with the Eagles, he helped the baseball program reach the quarterfinals of the playoffs in 2018 and then started to turn the football program around the previous two seasons in the 6A classification. Theres no my way or the highway. What I want to do is take what Ive learned, what Ive been able to take in during my five years with Thompson and apply it to Moody. That type of concentrated talent may be just another season at a program like IMG Academy, but its not common at a public school like Thompson, which produced a total of one four- or five-star recruit in the past decade current Alabama offensive lineman Amari Kight, a four-star recruit in 2019. I really dont. Two of those four, edge rusher Jeremiah Alexander and cornerback Trequon Fegans, are verbally committed to Alabama in the class of 2022. Between 2001 and 2007 his teams went 40-1 in region play and 17-3 in the playoffs. Im just trying to go MY way. Its so rewarding what we deal with. Jaiden Thompson (3) busts a move to get to the basket. In the blackness of night, a car rolled up beside me. Win those battles, keep as many people home, and love, love, love on those high school coaches. records may be incomplete. Jay Gogue announced Feb. 11 that Harsin will remain the coach, 'The first one changes you': Coaches recall their debuts in the Iron Bowl, a game that determines longevity, I tried to score over college basketball's greatest shot blocker, Walker Kessler | Durando. 56-38 (W) Thomson @ South Atlanta. Alabama High School Football Head Coaches Mark Freeman Mark Freeman attended Bessemer Academy and graduated from the University of Alabama with a Bachelor of Arts Degree. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). I grew up right down the road from Alabaster, Freeman said. He has an offer right now, but he doesnt have that ONE. Ganus was part of a Thompson coaching staff that has won three straight 7A state championships from 2019-2021. Thompson had a solid freshman season, putting up 6.7 points, 2.9 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. Lakeshore announces Danny Thompson as the school's new head football coach He was the offensive coordinator at Middleville High School since 2018. Forced to reckon with established powers, what has Harsin done to make recruiting inroads in his first 14 months? If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. Auburn is now making a push for four-star 2023 running back Jeremiah Cobb from the school. Sure, its great. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. Mark Freeman attended Bessemer Academy and graduated from the University of Alabama with a Bachelor of Arts Degree. Those hirings mean the two highest-paid high school football coaches in Alabama compete in the same region. Twenty-four (Thompsons jersey number as a freshman before he switched to his current No. I wrestled, I played baseball. Theyre not practicing the way we want them to practice. Despite its relatively new facilities a new high school opened in 2018 at 360,000 square feet at a cost of $88 million one wouldnt describe Alabaster as fancy. "I grew up right down the road from Alabaster," Freeman said. 3) is the one you need to watch! If I'm the head coach at any college, thats the first thing I would do: Win the battle in your backyard which is hard to do vs. Alabama, Rigby said. He has not met Harsin. Career. Coaches are paid a stipend at the end of the season for their work. These coaches have done a great job of laying that foundation. Im a finesse cornerback even though I can hit, Fegans said. The speculation, the expectations from others took its toll, even on the normally unflappable Thompson, who admits he had a tendency to internalize his emotions. This is a year when Rigby does have players most notably four-star defensive lineman Yhonzae Pierre and three-star offensive lineman Patrick Screws. And you sort of follow it, the top 70, 80, 90 kids end up going D-II and whatnot. Thompson's commitment to Freeman shows that the program is now joining that competition. 11 in the 247Sports Composite and already stands 6-foot-2, 180 pounds. On 12/2, the Thomson varsity football team won their away playoff game against Appling County (Baxley, GA) by a score of 20-14. Now, theyre recruiting the freakish athlete. He was THAT good. No passion missing; it burns like hot fish grease in Thompson, and his coach loves the way he is. Coach: Todd Thompson. What I like to see is somebody who keeps coming by: Coach, I know you ain't got nothing for me this year, but tell me about who does have somebody for me. Salary: Tony Gaines Show More Show Less 5 of 93. The coaching part of it? The others welcomed him because he could play and was a great teammate. Alabama has more in its backyard than other traditionally talent-rich SEC states, including Louisiana and Georgia. 1 and No. "We are going to be the best at everything we can do every day.". It also means neither of those quality coaches have yet to win a playoff game in the state's largest classification yet. 19) in over a decade. Everybody just clicks together, Thompson explained. Subscribe to The Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. She was just sad and disappointed to watch me like that. He will make a yearly stipend of $4,988. 17 nationally, and his teammates are often wowed by his skills. Ryan Thorburn. You have to build on the foundation that was set, he said. Quite frankly, thats the way the locals like it. Now Thompson is dunking with ease in games and soaring above the crowd for rebounds. Our offense will be spread, tempo. Wallace is expected to transfer. Ganus arrived on campus to meet with the Blue . Calera High School is searching for a new head football coach after Trey Simpson, above, joined Thompson High School in an athletic administration role. The funds generated by those summer camps can typically add another $10,000-$30,000 to a coach's bottom line income in some cases. Freeman landed his first head football coaching job at Bessemer Academy in 1998. I kind of fell out of love with the game, Thompson admits as he sits in Central Cabarrus empty auxiliary gym earlier this year. CIF Fundamentals of Coaching (Information provided by district). YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. Youll find exponentially more 4X4 pickup trucks than Mercedes-Benz. Ty Branyon. That facility will also come with a new football stadium. Theres no tearing stuff down. (Jeff Sentell/[email protected]). That both programs are in the Birmingham metro area is a feather in the cap for the Crimson Tide football program, which is just a short ride away. His uncle and role model, former Central Cabarrus football standout Michael Ricks, had a lot to do with that, coaching Thompson on his Concord Comets team and putting him through drills like dribbling with a tennis ball to improve his ball-handling. The Warriors (13-1) captured a third straight 7A championship while making a fourth straight Super 7 appearance. In the 2022 class, the state's No. Email Brandon Graves. But he knew it. Head coach Lee Gibson makes a little less than half of what Floyd and Freeman do even when all of his teacher salary and supplement stipends are added up. So I just feel like when we let someone score, its bad.. Freeman will be well-compensated for his efforts. Experience: 38 years Education: University of Texas Assignment: Athletic Director/Head Football Coach Wife: Teresa Children: Abby, Kate Phone: 512-414-0528 Email: [email protected]. . Now, hell join ACS and Thompson High School in an athletic administrative role alongside athletic director Vincent Pitts and others in the department, while also continuing his role as a special education teacher. Suddenly, the window rolled down and a man called out, Horton! Plus, Thompson had obviously inherited at least part of his talent from his father, Andricko Thompson, who was a good basketball player in his native Shelby. 74 overall in the 2023 class. Its allowed five points per game, and 24 of those came in the regular-season finale a loss to nearby power Hoover. Join us in the forums to submit corrections and new information. It marks the second time in the last three seasons that the Eagles will be looking for a new head coach in the month of June as Simpson took over the job from Zow in June 2019. High School Teacher jobs 25,325 open jobs Building Supervisor jobs 25,132 open jobs . One of the states current football hot spots is G.W. Jesuit head coach Matt Thompson was honored Thursday (Sept. 17) at One Buc Place as the Bucs' "Coach of the Week." Thompson earned the honor following Jesuit . Ganus played high school ball at Chelsea and played linebacker at UAB prior to the closure of the Blazers football program in 2014. Theyre going to find guys who want to do all those things.. Baker, who had a decorated career as the head coach at Catawba College, believes Thompson, who carries a 3.8 GPA, will win the recruiting game. On the night he scored his 1,000th career point, Jaiden Thompson is joined by (from left) his grandfather Nick Corry, his grandmother Phyllis Ann Faulker, his mother Keyna Ricks and his uncle Michael Ricks. Copyright All rights reserved. As of Wednesday, the plan is to play. To sharpen his skills, he started working with a basketball trainer, Kyree Bethel, whod played at Chowan and coached one of his summer teams. His 2013 team finished 15-0 and won another Class 5A state championship with a win over Muscle Shoals in the title game. The average coach in the region now makes $98,911 per year and the coaches now make a combined $791,288 in annual salary. Faulkners first grandbaby, Thompson was, in many ways, HER heartbeat. You dont work out anymore.. The only problem was that a number of coaches at prominent football schools have not met him. And Faulkner, direct as they come, wanted answers. Something wasnt right with the young workout fiend she used to know, the kid who was either living in the gym or dying to get there. But its worked out really great.. And weve never seen Coach Harsin on campus.. Or, shoot, even making it to the NBA. How many games did Tommy Thompson play? Shade, a former Alabama player, enjoyed his conversations with Harsin and thought Harsin was a good Auburn ambassador. Thatd be like a tear-jerker moment. Thompson coach Mark Freeman sent Hardy, who had missed an extra point in the first quarter, back on the field for a game-winning 35-yard goal try with four seconds remaining. Theyve probably done the best job as far as being seen; Hes been here multiple times, coach Marcus Gardner said. Thompson took another step forward in 2018, advancing to the Class 7A State Championship Game. That tough style of play, a hard-nosed defensive mindset, has an aligning charm with the city of Alabaster. Alabaster City Schools approved Freeman as the new head football coach at Thompson on Friday. Freeman's hiring meant an increase of almost $50,000 per year in what Thompson had . Ronald H. Thompson (born c. 1944) is a former American football coach. The Freeman and Floyd hirings have signaled a new era in Alabama high school football. 40 area players named: Full ASWA all-state teams list To end another memorable season of high school football in the area, 40 players in East Alabama were recognized when Alabama Sports. Another pair of seniors, linebacker Jax Van Zandt and safety Trevor Hardy, are committed to North Texas and Memphis, respectively. Niblett has led Hoover to three straight state titles in the AHSAA's largest classification. Wendell stayed at public school, he stayed grounded, he stayed with Cox Mill for four years. At Eufaula, Rigby says Alabama assistant Charles Kelly is good at staying in touch. ALABASTER, Alabama -- A member of the central office staff at Alabaster City Schools looked around the school board room at the Alabaster Municipal Building Friday afternoon. He and AU defensive backs coach Zac Etheridge are close friends. Across the street, Swim teacher's life saved by couple's good timing, Woman dies in Friday night Tuscaloosa County crash, Golf cart-based taxi service Bama Ride in hot water with city. "I know I am saying blessed a lot, but what a day. I knew he had a plane to get to, and I kept trying to hurry him out, Eads said. Freeman had a tremendous run in the private school ranks in Alabama Independent School Association football at Bessemer Academy before he moved to Alabama High School Athletic Association public football. Its a region that includes Hoover, Hewitt-Trussville, Vestavia Hills, Oak Mountain, Gadsden City and Tuscaloosa County. Please try a new search. There have been a ton of (recruiters) whove seen him. Simpson spent the previous two years coaching the Eagles after taking over for Andrew Zow ahead of the 2019 season. But later, Western Carolina pulled back its offer because of a coaching change. I think he wanted to have what he had at Boise, at Auburn, Higgins said. I've got utmost confidence in everybody here and the people that we are going to have here. Central Cabarrus coach Jim Baker struggles to find a fault in the 6-foot-1 Thompsons game, but if he had to nick-pick, its that hed like the low-key guard to be more vocal on the floor. He wanted to change the narrative.. If were being honest, its going to be hard to get multiple kids against Georgia or Alabama, Johnson said. How can we make Moody more successful. That would probably be one of my biggest accomplishments no matter if its winning a state championship or scoring 1,000 points. When I was principal at Montevallo, I appointed him as athletic director there because of his potential.. And Updates from all around. "Most of the kids growing up here, most of them aspire to play for Auburn; it's their hometown,"Etheredge said. Hoover City Schools pays its football coaches the same $47,741 stipend. The list can go on and on because Hoover and Niblett, like their counterparts Freeman and Thompson, take their football seriously. Some He took his time, did his research, seemed to flirt with Clemson and ended up back at the beginning this summer, committing to Alabama again on July 8. He even referenced the model set by former Cox Mill star Wendell Moore Jr., who led the Chargers to back-to-back state titles before going on to shine at Duke and become the first Cabarrus County-bred athlete to be chosen in the NBA Draft. All rights reserved (About Us). Carver High School in Montgomery. Sign up for our newsletter to keep reading. "dfpConfig": { Ill have to get some guys out there, Ganus said. With one of the states largest high school athletic programs at the Class 7A level, Hester said it would be beneficial for the school in many ways. His father, Fred, is a legendary figure in Utah high school athletics, having coached at Roy High School for 19 years, followed by a six-year stint at Fremont. His record at Thompson in nine seasons is 83-18 and 21-2 in the playoffs. Email Steven Hoffmann. New Orleans (La.) Its home for me. Thompson went 0-10 last year and 7-23 in three years under Mike Montgomery. With his wife already a little miffed at him from moving away from Gulf Shores, Freeman didnt have any thoughts of leaving Spanish Fort for another high school job. Freeman resigned from Spanish Fort to accept the head coaching job at Thompson high school near Birmingham. I think thats just kind of the bridge or the gray area theyre going to have to face here soon: Youre not Bama, and youre not Georgia. The Alabaster City Schools website includes a tagline in cursive script that reads "Champions of our Future" on every page. WVUA 23 is a competitive professional commercial television, Paul Bryant's McKanstry signs with Independence CC football, Gordo High School celebrates 2023 signing class, Former Hillcrest standout Brandon Bishop announces transfer to Liberty, Paul Bryant football introduces new head coach, Tuesday afternoon crash victim identified, Soldier, poet, or king? Theyve already landed two blue-chip recruits from Thompson in the 2022 class, and they have eyes on two more in 2023. Bowie High School Football Search. That means his teams have played for a title in eight of the 16 seasons he's been a head coach. Tommy Thompson was born in Hutchinson, KS. Brown, Newsome announces retirement as coach, C. JEMAL HORTON COLUMN: A Vikings program thats been great the past 2 years looks ready to take next step, KFC is bringing back a fan favorite after a nearly 10-year hiatus, A Pig Deal: Cannon Ballers changing the name, Cabarrus Sheriffs Office makes major drug bust with cocaine, fentanyl, cash seized, Bojangles offering fish sandwich during Lent, Concord man sentenced to 10 years for fentanyl and firearm offenses, Elizabeth Holmes gives birth to second child while seeking to further delay imprisonment, BOYS BASKETBALL: Ball doesnt bounce Concord Academys way in NCISAA 3A finals defeat to Greensboro Day, WeBuild buys historic Concord church for affordable housing, mixed use, Friday Five: New brewery, downtown streetscape and Barber-Scotia update. It kind of started in seventh grade, Thompson said. To borrow some real estate phrasing its seems that the ultimate in "curb appeal" for a high school and its community is to have a high-profile head football coach that commands a top salary. It seemed it would be a Herculean task. But this transfer portal has really hurt a kid like Jaiden because the decision for these college coaches is, Do I take a high school kid, or do I wait and see if I can find somebody in the portal that may have played at a little bit lower level but the kid is averaging seven points and four rebounds and has a year of experience under him? This whole portal thing, I think, has hurt the true high school kid.. One region athletic director told AL.com earlier this year that he feared an "arms race" might be upon us. Big-time high school football in Alabama can be classified as an arms race. . Jeff Ables. Thats the altitude Thompson has currently reached with its run of impressive athletes, which also includes three-star quarterback Conner Harrell, who is committed to North Carolina. Its a sort of throwback team, considering how offense is so valued in the game of football today. He needed to hit that growth spurt, and he needed to become familiar with the weight room. Harsin, former defensive coordinator Derek Mason and a number of assistants visited Williamson during Woodyard's recruitment, and coach Melvin Pete Jr. was impressed by their professional style. Pete enjoyed a conversation with Harsinin December about how Auburn schemed in the Iron Bowl. 2 class in 2022, are reaping the benefit of another nationally relevant football program in their backyard. Everytime you can affect people, its like an injection of energy. Being able to keep that promise for my grandma? His focus right now is getting past West Charlotte, into the state title game, and then coasting back down the interstate with a championship medal around his neck. What would make you consider a digital subscription to Shelby County Reporter? It's the second time during the three-peat that Thompson has defeated the Red Devils (13-1) in the championship game. 1 and No. Alabama High School Football History Thompson Coaches Thompson Warriors The AHSFHS.org Fan Shop Some records may be incomplete. Well, its not good for the program at Tuscaloosa County. C. JEMAL HORTON COLUMN: Central Cabarrus Thompson fulfilling his promise in more ways than one. Jesuit High School football is off to a good start this fall, with three wins in three games. DS David Simone Team 8-3 - Language Arts. You can cancel at any time. The additions come as KFC recently removed some menu items, including wings, popcorn chicken and cookies, to make room for new additions. All rights reserved (About Us). Fegans laughs with a nod at that description. "I want everyone else to know we are going to be a major player in everything we do for our children," Vickers said. Government & Public Administration: Air Force JROTC. But these next two weekends have special meaning. His teacher contract will be $46,113 annually. information in hopes our visitors will participate in assisting I said, Im going to go get it. I think Auburn has to make a decision: Do you want to continue to battle Georgia and Bama guys in recruiting, or do they want to just go find really good high school players and build their name off that? It was late January, and Harsin and receivers coach Eric Kiesau were visiting Mars Hill Bible School in Florence. I was like, Yeah, I can really do this, if I put my mind to it, Thompson recalled. So how did this high school team, about 66 miles from the University of Alabama campus in a town with a population of less than 35,000, rise of out of near obscurity to become one of the best high school football programs in the country and a burgeoning pipeline for the Crimson Tide? The more kids that get on campus, you're going to see him put his stamp on the type of kids he wants to recruit.". I know people. He coached for 10 seasons at Bessemer Academy, winning AISA titles in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007. That discrepancy was at the center of Auburn's recent turmoil. Football. Prior to taking the job at Spanish Fort, Freeman went 13-9 in two seasons at Gulf Shores and took the Dolphins to the playoffs in the first season. "We are going to make Friday night special," Freeman said. The Bessemer Academy and Alabama graduate has coached 16 seasons of high school football in Alabama and his teams have played for the state championship in eight of those. Harsin has a golden opportunity to rebound: The upcoming 2023 talent pool in Alabama is the states deepest and most top-heavy of this century.

Accident In Wexford Today, Performance Velvet Fabrics, Functions Of Executive, Legislature And Judiciary, Comment Dire Je M'en Fou En Arabe, Shawn Bradley Wingspan, Articles T