how much did taron egerton get paid for rocketmanhow much did taron egerton get paid for rocketman

He has a real duality to him. #Sing2 director Garth Jennings answers a question I've had for years: Did #TaronEgerton get the role of #EltonJohn in "Rocketman" because of the first "Sing". Taron Egerton is a Welsh actor and a singer born on 10 November 1989 in Birkenhead, United Kingdom. The latest movie news, trailers, reviews, and more. It goes from being quite London to quite transatlantic by the end of it. Previously, he served as a Music Editor at PEOPLE and VH1.com. In areas where the actor was not performing, he had to learn to make it seem like he was, which needed additional instruction. The answer to this and other questions can be found below. Related: Harrison Ford Made A Shockingly Low Salary Of $1,000 Per Week For This Film. How To Get A Great Direct Input (DI) Sound For Recording Guitar, Guitar Is A Relatively Easy Task That Can Be Done At Home With A Few Simple Tools, How Many Musicians And Chorus In Mozart Clarinet Concerto, How To Cure Finger Pain From Playing Guitar. So when there were reports that Paramount was considering cutting down or excising that love scene, the first in a studio movie pitched at a mass audience, the reaction was livid. Taron has a very innate, likable, vulnerable quality that not a lot of leading men easily find., Trending Both men have experienced tragedy and triumph in their long careers, with Egerton revealing that he cried when he first heard Eltons new album. Which was important, Fletcher says, because the last thing they wanted to be was The Also-Ran Rocketman.. He has more insight into the scrutiny and, ultimately, celebration the film received from the gay community, the impact it had on addicts and those in recovery, and how the experience of making the movie and channeling Elton has shaped him. Back in 2018, much was made of Rami Malek's song-less performance as Eddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody. Egerton clarified his sexuality by stating, One of the boys was at his London house.. And the film starts with a duet of The Bitch Is Back performed by Egertons John and his younger self, Reggie Dwight from Pinner, played by Matthew Illesley. Whether this guy was a bit off the wall or not, it was a line that inspired Elton. We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. "It's not intended to be a carbon copy performance of who Elton is. Entertainment Weekly may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Scrutiny is going to be a part of that.. Pam Grier reflects on her most iconic roles, from Coffy to Jackie Brown. Over the years, we have been providing quality content, commentaries, opinions and insights on arts and music. Theres a world in which Elton maybe shouldnt have taken him too seriously (laughs). That means going back to focus on the piano, though he's considering a stab at guitar, too. "I think you accept me as him quite quickly and you invest in the character of Elton John, which is informed and determined and inspired by and in homage to him, but is ultimately my creation," he says. Taron Egerton's current net worth to be $10 million. Taron Egerton as Elton John in Rocketman. For example, when Egerton was 17, around the time that John was first exploring the idea of a movie, he auditioned for the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London with Your Song. He sang a John tune again later in his career, this time as a gorilla in the 2016 animated film Sing, in which his character performs Im Still Standing at the concert finale. The studio nixed that part of the sequence before even mentioning that the gay sex scene might have gone on for too long. That portrayal of a shy piano prodigy who rose to international prominence was powerful and engaging, and we couldnt be happier for him. (Laughs) My mom knows the boy who lies dormant within me, so I dont think she was that surprised. Three hours a day, five days a week, for eight weeks, pencils out to 120 hours of practice at the piano, plus whatever else the teacher student did during production. The actor stated in an interview that he recently suffered from loneliness but that he is now pleased since he is dating a young lady. Taron Egerton did not play the piano exclusively in Rocketman, but the practice was necessary even then. LOS ANGELES No one delivered a gutsier film performance in 2019 than Taron Egerton. It was over 12 years ago that Elton John began developing " Rocketman ," a film about his life, and he had strict requirements: It needed to be R-rated, so as to not soften the music superstar's. We always knew, just by virtue of the fact that its a musical, that it was going to be a different animal, Egerton says. Memories mature like wine, dont they? he says. For more on Elton Johns astonishing rise to fame and new biopic Rocketman, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE on newsstands now. I had a vocal coach, but it was me. The actor did an impressive job nailing Johns distinct vocal style, and many fans were amazed by his vocal performance in the film. If youre watching it, Im writing about it, and having a great time doing so. Rocketman begins with him singing underwater at the bottom of a pool, where he would remain with a dive team for up to 20 minutes between takes of him trying to sing without water shooting up his nose. John's R-rated exploits frame the film, starting with his stint in rehab for multiple addictions, flashing back through years of substance use, toxic relationships and legendary fits of anger. Thats what a musical gives us beyond all other forms.. Taron Egerton. Egerton has sung on stage with John a number of times now, going back to last year's Oscar party to benefit the Elton John AIDS Foundation, where they performed "Tiny Dancer," up through last month's show at the Greek, where they belted out "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" and "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again," the new Taupin-penned duet John and Egerton sing over the Rocketman credits (coming soon to a Best Song nomination near you). It's not fair, but considering Paramount's current struggles, Rocketman really needed to be an ace in the hole. So all of us who were involved with the making of the film are hoping that that will only help us, because it reflects an appetite for celebrations of music. The comparisons between the two films were inevitable, considering both centered on the lives of gay 70s British rock icons and were released so close together; Rocketmans Cannes premiere came less than three months after Rami Malek wrapped up his Oscars speech for playing Freddie Mercury. He was profoundly moved, Egerton says. We could laugh about it. I think thats something that we share., That duality is a recurring theme of Rocketman, in which the adult John tries to make peace with the unhappy and misunderstood little boy inside, born Reggie Dwight in the London suburb of Pinner. But still, "There isn't one moment in the film where I'm miming. But there are two opinions that are most important in the world, and its Elton and Bernies. It seems that we are in an age of that. Dates to Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour: 'I Cherish These Memories'. If youre a pianist, the easiest Elton John song to play is 4- Rocket Man. As a result, followers of the attractive guy may only follow him on Instagram and other social media platforms, hoping that journalists would publish images of their hero with his girlfriend. Dexter included it in the soundtrack for the moment when Elton starts to become successful. think piece sandbox. Let's take a look at the success of Sing 2 and see how much Taron Egerton made to voice Johnny in the franchise once again. Taron Egerton shouldnt have been this good in the movie. He received recognition for his roles in 'Smoke' and the 2014 action comedy picture 'Kingsman: The Secret Service.' The Secret Service. Rocketman is now streaming on Netflix UK and Ireland. Taron is Eltons greatest fan, according to producer Giles Martin. Sing 2 had big expectations from fans, and it delivered at the box office. Audiences (and awards groups) liked or loved Bohemian Rhapsody because it was a glossy, energetic and genuinely cinematic rock opera that doubled as a biopic with a stellar lead performance (Rami Malek) and a toe-tapping jukebox musical/concert flick filled with Queen music. By providing an email address. Egerton did not meet John until after the film Kingsman: The Golden Circle had finished. Thats interesting because Elton is told that line by an extraordinarily talented performer. In the film, it is revealed how Reginald Dwight transformed from a street musician to a legendary musician. Per the site, Matthew McConaughey, who is voicing Buster Moon, will be the top-earning performer with an $800,000 salary. The music is now always going to be something extra special and important. Egerton even joined the legendary rock star on stage at Los Angeles' Greek Theatre to belt out a couple of duets before a sold-out crowd who'd come to see a live orchestra accompany a Rocketman screening full of ardent fans, to be sure, but also no small number of the guild and academy members who vote for award nominations. . It is possible that John played all of the piano parts himself, or he may have had help from other musicians. With an R rating and a studio willing to stick to that creative decision Rocketman skipped opening in China entirely. Taron Egertons personal life is a well-guarded secret for those who follow the actors career. One of the memorable lines in the movie is, You have to kill the person you were born to be to become the person you want to be. Is this something you take to heart? Sure, Taron Egerton is on screen made up and dressed up like Elton John, but in short order he storms out of a . Yes, yes he did. Taron Egerton Is Making $300,000 For The Sequel According to Showbiz Galore, Egerton will be taking home a solid $300,000 for his second time voicing Johnny in the Sing franchise. "There's a spark in him," the actor says about John, "and you feel it when you meet him. Although you can kill the person you were born to be to become the person you want to be, you also have to love your authentic self.. This was an enormous source of anxiety to me I believed that it would work, but I wasn't certain of it. Egerton told Collider before filming began that he planned on singing alone and did an excellent job. Its clear that Egerton had a blast playing John, and hes said that it was one of the most fun roles hes ever had the chance to play. Taron Egerton (Elton John) plays Elton in this film from his teens through his late 30s. Sing 2 just hit theaters back in November, and it has had a nice haul at the global box office. Taron Egerton as Elton John in 'Rocketman' Paramount With a Wednesday gross of $1.17 million (-26% from last Wednesday), Dexter Fletcher's Rocketman has crossed the $70 million mark at the. He and costar Richard Madden, who plays John's first boyfriend and eventual manager, John Reid, gamely teased each other in marathon junket sessions and promotional stunts. It was Edward Richard Smith, often known as Mad Teddy Smith by many. That rock-bottom moment provides the film's frame, which means this is more than just a paint-by-numbers saunter . There is no way to know for sure without further information. Over the course of his career, he's profiled the surviving Beatles, Brian Wilson, Aretha Franklin, Roger Waters, David Byrne, Pete Townshend, Debbie Harry, Quincy Jones, Brian May, Jerry Lee Lewis, James Taylor and many more. Theres no doubt that Taron Egerton enjoyed playing Elton John. ", Because Rocketman is a film about a gay '70s rock icon, comparisons to Bohemian Rhapsody were inevitable, even before both had been released. Its something hes never heard before. They were PG13, we are an R. Thats not to say that there isnt crossover. In recent months as awards buzz about his performance has grown, Egerton has accompanied John, John's husband and Rocketman producer David Furnish, and John's songwriting partner Bernie Taupin to a steady schedule of panel discussions, screenings, and receptions around Los Angeles. Rocket Man. Ultimately it's more a sweeping series of musical-fantasy sequences than a faithfully realistic biopic, and by most accounts, John was less involved in the daily work than Furnish. Selena Gomez vs. Hailey Bieber: Why Everyone Thinks They Need to Pick a Side, For Taron, the challenge was finding the real person underneath the legend. We love the songs. Well, that, and the fact that Spider-Man: No Way Home has been breaking records and effectively dominating the industry since its December release. It was moving to see how moved you were by the cheers and applause after the films gala screening in Cannes. Elton and Egerton were also close friends, as the two shared a passion for cars, with Egerton learning to drive before the actor took the singer for a spin in a modified Rolls-Royce. The Welsh actor will be in charge of playing the legendary singer in this film. Did Elton John teach himself how to play piano? Jordan Runtagh is an Executive Podcast Producer at iHeartRadio, where he hosts a slate of pop culture shows including Too Much Information, Inside the Studio, Off the Record and Rivals: Music's Greatest Feuds. How much did the costumes help you portray the essence of Elton John? ), "Bohemian Rhapsody was great, and I thought Rami Malek, who's a friend of mine, was phenomenal in the role [of Freddie Mercury]," Egerton says. The films first single, Rocketman, has been released. Looking back on his life, Taron Egerton seemed destined to portray Sir Elton Hercules John in Rocketman the new "based on a true fantasy" musical biopic . Hes a very unusual character and he has a lot of contradictions, says Egerton. "Taron Egerton plays Elton John in Rocketman from Paramount Pictures. When you visit this site, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Egertons dedication to the role is evident in his performance, and the film is definitely worth watching for his impressive portrayal of Elton John. They (Elton and Bernie) were squeezing each others knee and tapping each other on the shoulders. The film grossed $195 million worldwide on a budget of $40 million, and has so far scored major nominations at the Golden Globes, SAG Awards, and Critics Choice Awards. Asked if the constant comparisons might help given the industry's preference for projects with clear similarities to past wins at the box office or awards, he says, "I think there's room for both. And yes, there are differences. Watch on. I caught a touch of that.. Taron Egerton trained to impersonate Elton John, and he sang all of Elton Johns songs during the rehearsal process for the role. Academy Awards, USA 2020 Winner Oscar . The British actor is also back as the singing and talking voice of Johnny, the teenage gorilla in the animated sequel, Sing 2, to be released in 2021. . At the after-party, Elton John said, I was not watching Taron Egerton (in the film); I was watching Elton John.. Do You Know Lisa Shoman Net Worth, Biography, Career? Hes a once-in-a-lifetimehell, probably once everbeamed-from-another-planet personality, talent, raconteur, and renegade. I wanted to perform it myself because I enjoy the song and wanted to do justice to it. The only significant difference is that Taron Egerton, who won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy as an astlottiated version of Queens Freddie Mercury, lip-synced most of Queens songs in this film, whereas Rami Malek lip-sync. He enjoys talking about the experience now, with enough remove from the cannon-blast of press when the film premiered. Taron Egerton stars as Henk Rogers, a Dutch entrepreneur determined to secure the licensing . On the small screen, the actor has worked on projects like Watership Down, Moominvalley, and The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. In the action-adventure-drama, a prequel to Jim Hensons 1982 The Dark Crystal, Taron stars with Caitriona Balfe, Helena Bonham Carter, Mark Hamill and Alicia Vikander. If any of this was considered a gamble, it seems to be paying off. Copyright 2023 Penske Business Media, LLC. "When I was 20, I said I was going to learn an instrument properly, and I'm about to turn 30 and I haven't," he says. Bennie and the Jets (Interlude) 17. It's not quite the music that you exactly know. By Chloe Foussianes Published: Jan 5, 2020. He was in that scene playing organ, and he just called me up to go and have a chat with him. The chance to meet the legend in the flesh proved to be a very, very, very surreal experience.. "And I will not get to 40 without having done it, because if I do it now and put my mind to it, in three years I could potentially be singing and accompany myself. ", That left Egerton able to focus on the distinct unreality of how the story was told. As a teenager, the 29-year-old auditioned for drama school by singing Your Song, the 1970 classic that launched Captain Fantastic into orbit. "I think there's wisdom in not being precious about those things, because then you're doing something for a press soundbite rather than for the betterment of the film," he says. "I can't tell you how weird it is to become so close to someone that you portray," Egerton says. Despite the exposure, he chooses not to discuss his romantic relationships. "I think that's how you know he really likes you," Egerton says proudly. Elton met Egerton for the first time in 2017, when he was cast as a small part in Kingsman: The Golden Circle. They began to spend time together as a result, however, after Elton vetoed Tom Hardy, who was supposed to play the Rocketman, explaining, I couldnt sing. The actor and his subject, as they have Throughout their friendship, Egerton and Elton exchanged stories about everything from music to life as a whole. Everything we cant stop loving, hating, and thinking about this week in pop culture. While the obvious comparisons would be potentially frustrating for Rocketman promotionthe mention of Bohemian Rhapsodys shadow is the only time Egerton lets out a beleaguered sigh: Yeah thatthe film was in other ways absolved for not being like Bohemian Rhapsody, really, at all. The film takes place over the course of four decades, with Egerton painting a gap onto his teeth and shaving back his hairline with a razor to mimic Johns pattern baldness as he aged. For Julian to take that established aesthetic and create something new, I find that inspiring and exciting personally. It was all you can hope for. Elton is quite interested in the world around him, and theres something quite infectious about that. The Welsh actor will be in charge of playing the legendary singer in this film. And mainly I just watched what happened to that movie feeling intensely proud for my friend Dexter. The MCUs tiniest heroes are kicking off its biggest phase yet, setting up the next several years of storytelling. Johnny, the teenage gorilla, was a part of the animated film Sing. Taron Egerton looking sharp in Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Before Sharing Underwear Snap, Elton John Celebrates 75th Birthday with Sweet Message from Husband David Furnish: 'Glorious, Loving, Kind', 50 Years of 'Rocket Man': Inside the Song That's Sustained Elton John's Stardom for a 'Long, Long Time', Elton John and David Furnish's Cutest Family Photos, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lorraine Bracco, Taron Egerton and More React to Ray Liotta's Death: 'Shattered', Elton John Adds 11 New U.S. What do you plan to do next? Rocket Man. I don't feel like those are the things that are the most interesting or taxing. ", Egerton, who is modest at his most self-congratulatory, cautiously approves of the result which Elton John has specifically praised in a typically reflective fashion. Ive actually never done a love scene. To see the ink that he wrote these songs in, beginning when hes about 23 and going through to probably when he was nearly 30, was just incredible., Through spending time together, Egerton recognized the two sides of John the superstar and the man behind the bejeweled sunglasses. In the films centerpiece scene, Egerton as John sings the title song before 50,000 people at L.A.s Dodger Stadium, the biggest solo show anyone had ever done up to that point. It was not a by-the-numbers biopic with a mimic lead performance. He sings Elton Johns Im Still Standing at one point. Send us a tip using our anonymous form. You could hear the sighs of relief back in Hollywood when the audience at the Cannes premiere saw that the gay sex and fleeting bare bums made it into the film intact. In the video, he plays piano parts from the film. "Rocketman" begins with him singing underwater at the bottom of a pool, where he would. He was crying out for help, whether he knew it or not, and for whatever reason he didnt get that help. Powered by InsiderPeeps. The piano-playing. Egerton made his acting debut as Liam Jay in the 2011 ITV comedy Lewis. Dexter and I watched the movie at a strange angle because to my immediate right was Bernie Taupin and one along was Sir Elton. It would seem absurd to expect the same thing from a movie about Johns life that includes the phrase, I have fucked everything that moves. John himself has said the reason it took so long for the film to materialize was because he refused to water down his life. Taron Egerton stars as Elton John in Rocketman. Do You Know Buddy Boeheim Net Worth, Biography, Latest Career? But he's quick to reject the idea that he might put out an album of his own. He went through a lot of hard work in order to get the job done. "Until I saw the final cut of the movie, I never really relaxed," says Egerton, who was particularly worried that the intimate scenes between his and Madden's character would be edited out. I hope that when people watch the movie, they see that Elton really absorbs that. Ive been doing singing lessons Elton John hints at upcoming new music in this quote from his song Dont Tell Me How It Feels. After years of retirement, Elton John is putting pen to paper on new songs. Egerton strived to hit notes along that same liminal spectrum. How Taron Egerton Became Elton John for Rocketman, J-Hope, Boygenius, and All the Songs You Need to Know This Week, Karol G & Shakira, The Kid Laroi, Halsey, And All The Songs You Need To Know This Week, Janelle Mone, Lana Del Rey, and All the Songs You Need To Know, Tom Sizemore, Heat and Saving Private Ryan Actor, Dead at 61, See Travis Kelce and Kelsea Ballerini Joke About Their Matching Names in SNL Promo, Not Even Aubrey Plaza Can Save Operation Fortune, Guy Ritchies Weak Stab at Bond, Creed III Is a Muscular, Punishing Statement on Race in America, Rain Dogs Is One of the Most Surprising New Shows of the Year, Alex Murdaugh Juror Says Cellphone Video, 'Big Liar' Testimony Led to Guilty Verdict, The National Stay Up Late to Perform 'Tropic Morning News' on Fallon, David Lindley, Multi-Instrumentalist Who Shaped the Sound of Soft Rock, Dead at 78. David Appleby/Paramount Pictures. He has been candid for decades about his addictions and his commitment to getting, and staying sober. According to Showbiz Galore, Egerton will be taking home a solid $300,000 for his second time voicing Johnny in the Sing franchise. Some might have expected this number to be a bit higher, but Egerton is part of an ensemble cast, and if the website's numbers are accurate, then no one is even cracking $1 million. Ive recorded a few songs in the past. Amidst those big set pieces, he grounded his performance in an abundance of preparation, even if that meant learning to quick-draw arrows until he could fire as many as three a second. Taron is Elton's greatest fan, according to producer Giles Martin. When Egertons parents split when he was two, he went to Anglesey, a Welsh island, with his mother. I think its such an incredible thing for someone to go from such a low ebb to such titanic, gargantuan success., The message of Rocketman is clear in a new song John composed with longtime lyricist Bernie Taupin, (Im Gonna) Love Me Again, which he performs as a duet with Egerton over the films closing credits. A graduate of NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, he lives in Brooklyn, where he can be found DJing '60s soul records. So far, Egerton has starred in the Kingsman movies, Robin Hood, and Rocketman, which saw him take home some of the biggest awards in entertainment, including a Golden Globe. Or, at the very least, amusing coincidences that can be retrofitted to make it seem as if certain things were written in the stars. Egerton was a regular cast member of Sky1s The Smoke television series. He had this wicked sense of humor and hes very irreverent, but then he can be so, so sweet and vulnerable and kind. They had a halfway decent 2018 slate (A Quiet Place, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Book Club and Bumblebee), but they have thus far struggled in 2019. The performance is taking place as a result of him taking singing lessons. Its not a biopic. But it's not going to be something that happens anytime soon. But the truth of the matter is 48 hours before he went on stage, he swallowed a bunch of pills and he threw himself into his swimming pool. We got on with it and we did our job. How Much Will Taron Egerton Make For 'Sing 2'? Taron David Egerton Birth date: November 10, 1989 Age: 33 Zodiac Sign: Scorpio Height: 5' 9" Relationship Status: Single Net Worth: $6 million Taron's Social Media: Background Taron David Egerton was born on November 10, 1989, in Birkenhead, Merseyside, to parents from nearby Liverpool. He received recognition for his roles in Smoke and the 2014 action comedy picture Kingsman: The Secret Service. The Secret Service. His 1976 coming out interview in Rolling Stone was the first of its kind, making him essentially the most famous queer person in the world. Taron Egerton has ruled himself out of the running to play the next James Bond, suggesting 007 filmmakers have "already got someone, and it's not me" The Golden Globe-winning actor, 33, has been among the names thought to be under consideration to play Bond since he starred in the Kingsmen . He'd sung in the past for film roles in 2016's Sing, as an animated gorilla, he even performs Elton John's "I'm Still Standing" and along with Eddie the Eagle costar Hugh Jackman he contributed an '80s-inspired synth-pop track to the movie's closing credits. Elton John appears in the film as a character actor. After the premiere screening of "Rocketman" wrapped on Thursday evening, Egerton was spotted in the audience crying as viewers rose from their chairs to give the actor a massive standing ovation.

Ap Exhaust Catalog, 20'' Heavy Barrel 223 Wylde, Visalia Unified Lunch Menu, Oscar Smith Middle School Principal, Belmore Falls Death 2021, Articles H