gmc astro cabover interiorgmc astro cabover interior

That thing is so deliciously 80s. This truck had plenty of power and I was able to easily beat a friend on mine driving the International cabover out of a toll plaza. For some reason most of the few I saw were rag-tag owner-ops out of Quebec. One of my old neighbors was one of the mechanics that worked there until retiring shortly before the warehouse closed.. (I think the warehouse closed during the early 1990s) If I remember right, he told me most of the ones at Fort Wayne were Detroit powered, although there was some Cummins powered as well, with 7 speeds. There are a few reasons this might happen: To regain access, please make sure that cookies and JavaScript are enabled before reloading the page. It seemed certain that these once-proud rigs would be fed to the crusher soon. Stock Number. They have that in common with a great many other big trucks. There was also the memorable wrap-around dashboard, all decked out in woodgrain. Dan is hoping to use this truck in the summer to haul hay. A walk-in version was added in 1985. 800,000 miles, and a rebuild. You see a LOT of dilapidated Fords smoking their way down the road, somehow still going. Every time I see one of these old Astros, I think of Food Lion supermarkets fleet back in the 80s. Must have been a big Chevy truck dealer out there. The reason? (Ever the penny-pinchers, they opted to apply the same logo stickers to the trucks as they did to their boats.). 1950s. If these were being built in the late 70s, they werent that much before my time yet I cant remember ever seeing one. Of course, being a cabover it tilted forward for access to that huge Detroit Diesel mill. After completing the CAPTCHA below, you will immediately regain access to the site again. Year. The Astro could be ordered with standard Detroit Diesel 6 or 8 Autocar will still sell you a new truck. We can order those things? Super-detailed engine, chassis and interior; CB radio and dual antennas; Astro . Near the end of its run, Astro buyers had the option of several Detroit, Caterpillar and Cummins Diesel engines. This 1974 model was one of the last trucks to travel down the assembly line before the company went bankrupt in late 1974. Isuzu Bedford might be the name down under, the blue one is very clearly a (Euro) Bedford TM. Your email address will not be published. In a surprise win, I ended up with both the seventeen-footers and one of the two unfinished sixteens for just a few hundred dollars. the past 3 years. There was no coming back after that. Highly inconvenient. the cab was made of aluminum. In the period from 1978 to 1988, General Motors offered the GMC Brigadier, a heavy-duty class 7-8 short-hood truck available in straight-truck and semi-tractor configurations. My good friend and photography mentor loves them. Even though today GMC mostly offers pickup trucks, SUVs, and medium-duty commercial vehicles with such well-recognized nameplates as Sierra, Acadia, Canyon, Yukon, and Savanna, there were times when the company was focusing on producing urban and transit buses, fire trucks, ambulances, and heavy-duty semi trucks. I vaguely recall it being at/near a T intersection. As far as I know this is a Bedford KM, the heavy-duty TK. My son and I still drive this truck and trailer every week from San Diego California, to LA. trucks or the Turbo Titan III program, please An Australian truck driver talks about the REAL BAD BOY big rig trucks that run through the Outback of Australia. You mean this one Bryce ? Condition. When I worked at Peterbilt in the late 70s to early 80s, we definitely paid attention to some of the features of the Astro as well as Ford CL9000, especially the cab air suspension of the latter. All Rights Reserved. You had to jack the front of the cab up to get the valve cover off. Shopping with us, you get parts and accessories that work hard just like you, built tough just like your vehicle. You've disabled JavaScript in your web browser. Because of the regulations for length, this style of rig was very popular in it's day. USED - Door side vent, Does not include interior trim, Needs seal, Cab over. The trucks, however, were not so lucky. When the shop was sold and moved out of town his land lord offered him 300 bucks to clean out the space. You're a power user moving through this website with super-human speed. The cabover interiors are usually made with a black finish that makes them look like they have some kind of black paint on them. Luckily the shop we are in was originally a heavy equipment shop. By the way nice buy on the boats. Gmc astro Sleeper on HeavyTruckParts.Net. Orders went through Ma Bell. All three are currently relaxing behind the shop until my project backlog is a bit shorter. Plus, I turned out to be a convenient source of labor for creating the coming years catalog, since their marketing department was no more by that time. But no more please, too uncomfortable. My client roster once included a manufacturing firm called Ercoa. 1984 GMC ASTRO 9500 Sleeper Trucks For Sale Price: USD $23,500 Get Financing* Horsepower: 350 HP VIN: 1GDT9L4C0EV542424 Fuel Type: Gasoline Drive Side: Left Hand Drive Contact Us (573) 544-6500 Sold By: Pierson & Son Trucks New Florence, Missouri 63363 Along with the Dragfoiler roof spoiler, the option package included body extension panels between the cab and trailer, an air dam below an extended bumper and an optimized radiator grille. They also all open in a certain way (although they differ in this area). Had a fairly new one in for service, it had the largest sleeper size available, I think it was a queen size mattress, maybe king? 1972 GMC Astro Cabover Truck - Walkaround Exterior Interior Tour - 2021 Clifford Truck Show TruckTube 3.9K views 8 months ago Cabover Peterbilt With Completely Full Trailer FSC Trucking. Drove these trucks for years. Loved it when trucks had real character. economy. It had the red and white paint scheme but but was otherwise pretty plain, with cast spoke wheels and painted fuel tanks. Another future COAL . Three of the sixteen-footers were completed and used for testing and promotions; this catalog picture depicts the very same boat seen above, only twenty-two years earlier. Gauges for the trailer air supply and pressure were Here we have a 1983 GMC Astro. Company owners said should just have to put new batteries in and change the fluids and should start up. These trucks were as tough as nails! Not running. Or perhaps some do-gooder finally threw it away. Since 1966, General Motors has been manufacturing a line of buses based on a traditional cowled chassis. Yes! Guess which one I was most interested in? Id give anything to have one now. Instruction, clear advice, videos and photos for truck driver skills, maneuvers and information for all professional truck drivers. Did find the high-res original of that pic, but alas, no GPS information or other pictures for context. But somewhere down the line (perhaps in the early eighties) they acquired another line of business: building pontoon boats. The shortened wheelbase allows for this tight turning radius. As I recall they were much easier to deal with than most boat companies who prefer to use their dealers for all customer support. Sleeper Type: CAB OVER: Part Info (877)238-5030 Request Info. Astro model, go see the. Thats probably half the reason I was brought in: I worked cheap, I was willing to horse around with their archaic equipment, and I could manage to keep a sense of humor about it. The payments on bulldozers and other such equipment are pretty high, and they have to be working to keep the cash coming in. The funky hitch is called a stinger and its usually used on car haulers. This truck was tight, the Cummins was purrfectly quiet and smooth and I was liking that. During WWII, GM supplied the US Army with more than 600,000 GMC trucks. As of current production, GM has not marketed another Class 8 cabover truck (as the configuration has effectively ended production in North America). Notify me of follow-up comments by email. But the pontoon-hauler wasnt quite as fancy as this one. In 1916, GMC made headlines when a husband and wife drove the GMC pickup truck from Seattle to New York in 30 days. I also have a soft spot for the Astro along with the Brigadeir and General. Great guy I understand hes still working on peddle-boat designs somewhere. It was like driving a bus! Numbers 1 and 2 could be done from the engine compartment. Oh man, how I love those old cabovers and the other rigs, especially the Petes. Overspray bedamned, Ill take it! A few words about their personal connection and memories of cabovers. These gems were a challenge to drive without power steering. Jun 7, 2019 - This Pin was discovered by Lieutenant 107. Theres a bit more thought put into them now but wrap around dashboards are still the norm, the fake wood is still with us though the 2011 International I was driving was covered in the stuff. They were tough to get out of after a long day of driving, and the ride in them was pretty firm. Hes the one that hired me. Drove them back in 88 when I started driving with Schneider National. This interior is one of the highlights of my apartment. Its Hall-Scott gas engine was still running well, but the truck just was too slow to be competitive in the late 1960s, and it was actually driven to its resting place in the woods at the local wrecking yard, where it sat for years before being scrapped. Great truck and photo. IHC dealers usually at least understood that an out-of-service truck meant someone wasnt making their wages. I am actually the current owner of the truck on this article. Easily find what you need from 2,312,977 parts available. I would sleep across the doghouse in my cabover. when the cab was tipped, anything and everything in the truck and sleeper berth that wasnt glued down, would fall onto the windshield of the truck! One of my regrets is that I wasnt yet smart enough to try to figure out how to save my fathers old 1947 Autocar 10-wheeler dump truck from the scrap yard. Now for those of you who have seen dbl bunk Astro's yes there were some after market dbl bunk conversions. i have being looking for a astro or titan would you be interested in selling one. There are fewer blind spots too. This must be the Astros counterpart from across the pond, the English 1974-1986 Bedford TM. For more information on the last new One legacy of the Astro is the windshields. One of my most exciting or tense days involved a White Road Commander. We like the way they roll. MN. The Astro was available as a 58 in BBC Day Cab, and a 86 in BBC And so it was that I got my one and only surviving picture of the trucks at hand. For example, if you were going to hide your wallet in the back seat of your car and dont want anyone to see it, you can create an interior that has a large panel that covers it up. Model. But, with surprising candor, he began to lament his purchase of the truck having now done the math, he was expecting to take a big hit on it, and several other things hed won at that auction. In the late 1960s, as American truck manufacturers introduced updated designs for cabover trucks, design work began on an all-new Class 8 cabover. This style of old semi trucks are incredibly maneuverable. Its interesting to hear about what happens to these manufacturing companies when they close. The new model has replaced the line of C/M 90/9500 trucks. With their squared-off styling and strange proportions, GMC's aluminum cabover trucks of 1959-68 quickly earned the nickname "Crackerbox.". 1978 GMC Astro 95 This model was designed to have a higher cab, bigger rad, and a larger engine, than its predecessor. This truck is very rare as we are finding out. None of this stuff is even broken in! American Brands: AMC, Jeep and All Others, Tractors, Lawn Mowers, Off-Road Equipment, Big Truck Outtake: GMC Astro 95 It Makes Me Want To Go Boating. In fact, this picture was used to create a cut-out on foamcore, which sat atop their reception desk when it was unstaffed. The vehicles were mostly fitted with school bus bodies. Changing a clutch was always fun since the rear engine mounts were attached to the transmission instead of the engine. From some of the old Overdrive magazines Ive seen, Ford was even worse for HD parts and service to the point they refused Fords advertising for years over it. Each truck had a slightly longer than normal wheelbase, with tandem axles, a steel flatbed with wood decking, and an interesting low-mounted fifth wheel hitch setup. Downtime means lost income. I was thinking WTF? Search our large inventory of New/Used GMC ASTRO Cab, Misc Parts for sale. Picture of my Titan 90 north of Portland Maine 1979. If every driver of EVERY vehicle on the road followed these safety tips, our roads would be SO much safer. Tahoe where I used to work had a tough time getting to stuff on our Pete 320 LCFs. Comfort is a big issue especially for long haul trucking. And their parts guys knew the product a lot better. The cabover style of truck took full advantage of the trucking industry length laws, in effect at the time. Not surprising, given that it came from GM, although its predecessor, the Crackerbox (attached) certainly couldnt have spent much time in the Design Center. It also has a black, white, The Astro 95 is my first big truck of the week, and also the biggest truck in my files. It was pretty tiring crawling in and out of it and having to lie down to get dressed! Clifford, ON, comes alive on the Canada Day long weekend. The black caboose is one that is used for a single person and the red caboose is used for a couple of people. When I was a kid, my parents would drive me to the nearest truck stop, so I could take pictures of the big rigs, and talk to the truck drivers. Item:24627543 Spencer, IA $242.00. However, the conventional long hood vehicle still fairs better in an accident. Many RVs even up to today use the same glass. [1] In 1977, the Cummins KT450 and Caterpillar 3406 became options; the larger engines required the addition of a larger radiator. Interior. The only other cabovers weve seen have a black, red, and blue interior. In 1987, GM ended the production of the GMC General. Cabover interiors are always black and have that kind of chrome finish that makes them look menacing and slightly menacing. Throughout the entire production run, the trucks were assembled in Pontiac, Michigan by the Pontiac Central Assembly facility. These rigs are true classics for sure. In fact they were as cold as hell! Definitely a product of White Motor Company or one of its spin offs. GMC Astro 95 Cabover T/A Road Tractor, ; Vin# TGH928V900010, Special Plate- AC122503, Manual Trans.- NO TITLE . And run they did. A box is a box! When it comes to clutter, some say its nothing more than postponed decisions. In past years, it had been E.R.C.O.A., as in the Electric Reel Company Of America, maker of battery-powered fishing reels. As such, several other trucks will be standing in for it at various points. I might have even worked on this one. It looked similar to the above shot when I last saw it, but I bet its cockpit was much more awe-inspiring in its younger days. It seems like there must be hundreds of RV, boat, etc manufacturers that have shuttered or consolidated in the past 2 decades. Maintenance and Repair A cabover is repaired by tilting the entire cab forward. Old Dutch plant located in Minneapolis. (Bedford being a GM division.). was a radical departure for GMC-it was completely cab-over engine, and I cant say I have a soft spot for Brigadiers. Our goal is to support you and your business. Werent the other two trucks Internationals? The interior is ruff, Dan is rebuilding the engine so as to keep it orignal. The cabover truck design is outdated for the North American highway infrastructure. In addition to light trucks, this meant a potential GMC franchise needed the ability to support medium-duty trucks, heavy-duty commercial trucks, the GMC motorhome, P-chassis, and school bus chassis. But as you can imagine, by this time there wasnt much left of them. An acquaintance of mine whod recently gone from avid recycler to junkyard owner was also present at the auction, and seemed determined to buy everything in sight. I sold off the shop manuals years ago on the internet. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. I drove one in 71 for two years, with a V12 Detroit engine. They were indeed good-looking trucks. On various occasions, I walked in to find the President working a welder and the VP forming sheets of aluminum ahead of him! After a short stint as an OTR driver and still holding my Class A CDL Id like to find a worthy GMC truck just to drive to one of the big truck shows. NO It had chrome bumpers, a chrome grille, and a single chrome exhaust stack, but the gas tank was steel, as were the wheels. Production ran from 1969 until late 1987, when GM merged their heavy truck operation with Volvo/White the Astro 95 was replaced by the Volvo version of the White Road Commander II, probably a step backward. The blue cabooses have interiors that are usually made of plastic. Most kids wanted to go to the beach, but my favourite thing was to head for a truck stop! The GMC Astro (also known as the Chevrolet Titan) is a heavy-duty cabover truck that was manufactured by the GMC Truck and Coach Division of General Motors from the 1969 to 1987 model years. Beat me to itthe White was clearly an Astro rip-off, although there isnt exactly a lot of leeway with big COE trucks in making them look distinctive, at least in the idiom of that time. Id been itching to make a deal ever since I became aware of their presence in the back of the warehouse some years ago, but my offers to buy had always fallen on deaf ears. Speaking of aluminum, perhaps the strangest item offered for bids was the right to sweep the floorswhich the auctioneer claimed would yield barrels worth of aluminum shavings if done correctly. He believes that Content and Social Media Marketing are the strongest forms of marketing nowadays. They were quite popular, particularly with fleets. I actually had to call Ercoa once working a claim on a boat. I understood that much of the interior and the dashboard were designed by a woman named Martha Jayne Van Alstyne, who also worked on the interior of the 68 Corvette. Given the design and material information I hung onto from earlier, I expect to be able to finish their construction fairly easily. As you were browsing something about your browser made us think you were a bot. And when I came on in 2006, things werent looking pretty. The cabover interiors caboose is a unique design concept that is made possible by the fact that it has black and red interiors. Dents and rust throughout, interior dirty and worn. USD $1,018 . Find the 9 highest paying truck driver jobs in 2022. $20? In the shuffle, Ercoa managed to grab the pontoon business and run with it. All in all the Astro proved the old adage that you get what you pay for. Thanks for visiting my page! In 1976, another 9 of length was allowed, for a maximum 75 allowance. The base engine was the Detroit Diesel 6-71N, with the Detroit 8V71 and Cummins N-Series diesel engines as options. made it able to slip through wind better than other COEs at the Sleeper Cab. your own Pins on Pinterest Generals were actually a pretty good truck, at least competitive with the Transtar 4200/4300 and better than the various Loiusvilles from Ford. Her fleet of 95s did cross country turnarounds with two drivers, Indiana to California and back in 5 days over the Rockies, the drivers loved them. Owned by Ryan Wichtner, FL. In 1981, General Motors ended sales of heavy trucks by the Chevrolet Division, leading to the cancellation of the Chevrolet Bruin, Bison, and Titan. Drivers had to be careful of foot placement, or else theyd end up falling on the ground! The Great Lakes Truck Club hosts the Clifford Truck Show, featuring a hot line-up of cabovers, Macks and older model rigs. Id suspect a lot of their business came from a few good dealers, and especially from operators of a small fleet of big rigs but a varied fleet of everything who would appreciate a one-stop shop where they could get heavy haulers to get the product out, pickups and vans for *their* service techs and sedans for the sales reps through one dealership and one contract. [1] In 1983, the Aero Astro option package was released, largely as an effort to improve fuel economy. Succeeding the F/D-series "Crackerbox" cabovers, the Astro was marketed by Chevrolet as the Titan, serving as the largest cabover trucks ever produced by General Motors. Drivers didnt worry about head on collisions. The only GM heavy truck that was built after the merger was the Brigadier, and it lasted until the Pontiac heavy truck plant closed in late 1989. Super trucks for local work, but not well suited for long haul trucking. "A Brief Outline of the First Century of GMC Truck History - Generations of GM", Rigs of Rods; GMC Astro 95 & Chevy Titan 90, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=GMC_Astro&oldid=1140760775, Articles needing expert attention from January 2017, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 21 February 2023, at 17:11.

Teresa Earnhardt House, Disadvantages Of Partisan Elections, Paula Newsome Partner, Articles G