carlos hathcock model 70 riflecarlos hathcock model 70 rifle

In November 1965, USMC Gy/Sgt. Before deploying to South Vietnam, Hathcock had won shooting championships, including matches at Camp Perry and the Wimbledon Cup. From 100 -500 yards, things were fairly easy to compensate. You can Cerakote the stainless barrela good artist can pretty much replicate any finish. A native of Little Rock, Arkansas, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos N. Hathcock II joined the Corps in 1959 at age 17. When the need arose for more Model 70s the rifles procured by Brig. I appreciate those pics, the rifle and the background. It appears that you are accessing the Winchester Website from outside North America. The scarcity of these rifles mean few of us will ever get a chance to own one. During the Vietnam War, Marine Corps Veteran Carlos Hathcock had 93 confirmed kills of North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong personnel. This article, "The Military Model 70," appeared originally in the April 2011 issue of American Rifleman. The Model 70 was originally manufactured by the . Born on May 20, 1942, in Little Rock, Arkansas, Hathcock took to the sport of shooting at a very young age. It has been determined that the increased accuracy of the Model 70 Winchester is insufficient to justify its introduction into an already overburdened supply system., Although adoption of the Model 70 as a sniping arm by the U.S. Marine Corps and U.S. Army remained elusive, the rifle did enjoy some measure of quasi-military popularity throughout the mid- to late-1950s. Thanks. Using this rifle, we shot at increments of 100 yards, all the way out to 1,000 to test our modern-day sniper skills. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. One of the perennially popular Winchester firearms of the 20th century is the Model 70 bolt-action rifle. Hathcock's record and the extraordinary details of the missions he undertook made him a legend in the U.S. Marine Corps. Carlos Hathcock's sniper rifle! He only used the .50 M2 on less than a dozen shots. On 10 July 1969, Carlos Hathcock and Ron McAbee were providing security for convoys along Western Route 4. On some occasions, however, he used a different weapon: the Browning M2 machine gun, on which he mounted a 10X Unertl scope, using a bracket of his own design. Douglas still produces the same barrel they supplied to the Marines in the early 1940s, which makes easy work of getting one key aspect of this build exactlyright. The M-25 White Feather is a tribute to Carlos Hathcock who accounted for 93 confirmed enemy kills in Vietnam. Thanks! Excellent. He managed to achieve an astounding kill record of 93 - including an impressive shot through an enemy sniper's scope, but it was with the M2 that he was able to take out a Vietcong soldier pushing a bicycle loaded with ammunition at . FollowingWWII, popularity of the model 70 with Marine Corps snipers grew, eventually drawing the attention of other snipers from other branches of the military as well. From the 1970's, illustrating the Monte Carlo style stocks used in this era. Above, Marine rifleman Dalton Gunderson eyes the enemy through an 8X Unertl scope on top of his Special Services-procured Winchester Model 70 in Vietnam. The rifle has no Marine or U.S. property marks on any component. While recovering, Hathcock received the Purple Heart. Rewards put on U.S. snipers by the PAVN typically ranged from $8 to $2,000. [43] In 2002, this record was broken by Canadian snipers (Rob Furlong and Arron Perry) from the third battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry during the War in Afghanistan. Hathcock was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, on May 20, 1942. My Hathcock tribute. FOLLO .more .more 2.6K Dislike Share Indian Gunner 26.3K subscribers. All of the markings are crisp. Model 70 sniper rifles were used by US Marine snipers continuously from WWII, through the Vietnam War. They were intended primarily as match rifles and were not procured for use as sniper rifles. The LR/T front focal offers an elevation range of 65-MOA and a windage range of 65-MOA. So if you are looking to own the first two Model 70's ever made then these are of interest to . Carlos Hathcock holds the Marine Corps record for the longest confirmed sniper kill shot. He sold quite a few, and claims they came from a USMC armorer. One Marine who came from just such a rifle team environment and went to Vietnam, where he used a similar Model 70 for a time was Gunnery Sgt. I got this guy for $501 delivered to my door. Btn., 7th Marines, under young Marine Capt. Charles Henderson, in Marine Sniper, his biography of legendary Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock, tells of a 1967 incident when Hathcock, used two shots from a Browning M2 50 caliber machine gun to dispatch a Viet Cong soldier . This is yet another example of the truism that a great civilian firearm does not always equate to a great military rifle. This is an example of a very rare post-64 "U.S. PROPERTY" marked Winchester model 70 target rifle that was manufactured in 1967, that is fitted with an even rarer "USMC PROPERTY" marked Lyman Super Targetspot rifle scope. Im sure with a lot of practice and tons of time behind the rifle, it could become almost second nature, but for the time we had it, it wasnt something to brag about. His previous skill as a marksman had won him a variety of matches and trophies at places like Camp Perry in Ohio. In addition to sniper rifles, model 70s were used extensively in marksmanship training and in match team shooting. I had a few of those hanging around. Springfield Armory's M-21 and M-25 are the highest quality precision rifles built on the M-14action. [16], Hathcock stated in interviews that he killed a female Viet Cong platoon leader called "the Apache woman," with a reputation for torturing captive U.S. Marines, around the firebase at Hill 55. Regarding, his tools of trade, Hathcock, normally operated with the Winchester Model 70, 30-06 Caliber rifle along with an 8 power scope. [4] In the Vietnam War, kills had to be confirmed by the sniper's spotter and a third party, who had to be an officer. You must log in or register to reply here. The Model 70 Standard Rifles were fitted with Winchester medium-heavy target barrels in modified stocks and the Unertl telescopic sights. He lived in a rural area with his grandmother as his parents had separated. These are some beautiful projects. A sniper from the 1st Cavalry Division is shown in March 1951 with an M1D Garand, complete with an M81 or M82 riflescope in a Griffin & Howe mount. During trips to Mississippi, he started developing an interest in hunting and long-range shooting. I just passed down my Win 70 .30-'06 Featherweight to the next generation. S. Jay Ratliff Considered a real one but again even a cheap ($450.00) modern scope I feel is better than an original 60's era scope. for his record shot. The slings are embossed with Hathcock's signature. [10], One of Hathcock's most famous accomplishments was shooting an enemy sniper through the enemy's own rifle scope, hitting him in the eye and killing him. Hathcock generally used the standard sniper rifle: the Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope. The Army's most accomplished Vietnam War sniper, Sgt. You are using an out of date browser. Carlos Hathcock, in Vietnam (left) and receiving the Silver Star (right). Hathcock's record and the extraordinary details of the missions he undertook made him a legend in the Marine Corps. What should the discerning collector look for in a potential buy? The serial number, "48213" is roll-stamped on the right side of the receiver below the rear sight base. He was honored by having a rifle named after him: a variant of the M21 dubbed the Springfield Armory M25 White Feather, for the nickname "White Feather" given to Hathcock by the North Vietnamese People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN). I have a correct 70 in my safe I have wanted to do something with but reluctant to go the Unertl route as I dont think its practical as a shooter but a cool conversation peice. You know it's funny how just a simple duplex reticle, like what you find in most scopes can be a real help in ranging and holding. The Model 70s began to be replaced by Remington Model 700 rifles, which were later standardized by the Marine Corps as the M40. The Model 70s suitability as a sniping rifle during the Vietnam War should be unquestioned, as the most famous and revered sniper of the war, Carlos Hathcock, used the rifle with remarkable effectiveness. One of the distant places where Americas commitment would come to be tested was in South Vietnam. Without them, it can be extremely tough to hold for the effects. AFAIK, Crane only made two of these on the 721 action. The owner had provided us with the stock already featuring a nicely aged appearance, which we maintained in the build. That's the way I look at it. In 1936, Winchester introduced the Model 70 bolt-action rifle to the American market. A few Model 70 sniper rifles saw service in Korea, particularly during the Chosin Reservoir campaign-under difficult winter conditions that rendered other rifles -like the M-1A carbine -ineffective or inoperable. The second lot of rifles used by Land and his teams in Vietnam were also Winchester Model 70 target guns in .30-06 Sprg. Learn more about Gunnery Sergeant Carlos N. Hathcock II and the Winchester Model 70s service in Vietnam in these two American Rifleman articles:The Military Model 70. Agree sandwarrior there was a thread on old old hide many moons ago regarding this. Hathcock used for much of his time in Vietnam. These relatively few Model 70 rifles soon became favored for their lighter weight, refined handling, and superior accuracy compared to the Springfield rifle. Hathcock generally used a Winchester Model 70, chambered in .30-06 and with a standard 8-power Unertl scope. Mil Dots give you an accurate unit of measurement and a way of compensating for gravity and wind drift. If you get a chance, test it out for yourself. The Model 70, which was primarily based on the Model 54, is still regarded as one of the best cars ever made. Through the PX system in Okinawa, Lands NCOs bought mounts, rings and scopes. This rebuild work varied but generally consisted of replacing the original sporter barrels with heavier 24" or 26" barrels and replacing the stocks as necessary, often with new target stocks procured from Winchester. The machine work, barrel channel and bedding were completed in our shop. That is the pic. Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh. But if you go by the books, everything seems right on it. 1942 dated receiver, with a 56 dated WRA barrel, mismatched bolt, all the metal looks like it's been refnished, and the stock has been beat to crap and then heavily sanded. Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device. He set up on a hill close to the treeline, 700 yards from where his target would be. Carlos Hathcock, in Vietnam (left) and receiving the Silver Star (right). Carlos Hathcock typically used the Winchester Model 70 sniper rifle chambered for use with 30-06 ammunition along with an eight-power Unertl scope. Introduced in 1936 as an improvement on the Model 54, the Model 70 soon set the standard for commercial bolt-action rifles. Instead of running for the sniper, the soldiers . These two Garand sniper rifles were the mainstay of the U.S. militarys sniper rifle inventory until the early 1960s when the United States became increasingly involved in the conflict in Southeast Asia.The Springfield M1903A1 rifle fitted with an 8X Unertl scope was the only bolt-action sniping rifle to see any substantive use in the hands of U.S. Marines during the Korean War. Any pictures I have seen, the stocks used overseas were more like hunting stocks. Born in 1942, Hathcock enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps on May 20, 1959the very day he turned 17. Previously sold. The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Staff Sergeant Carlos N. Hathcock, II (MCSN: 1873109), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a Sniper, Seventh Marines, FIRST Marine Division, in connection with military operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam on 16 September 1969. Thus, the Model 70 remained in the militarys inventory, albeit as a match rifle, until the escalation of the war in Vietnam, which resulted in a renewed emphasis on accurate sniper rifles. In one of his more renowned stories, Carlos Hathcock killed an enemy sniper through the enemy's own rifle scope. The stock were fitted with 1 1/2-inch sling swivels. Carlos Hathcock accepting the Wimbledon Cup after winning the NRA National Matches. He and other Marines who were riding on top of the vehicle were sprayed with flaming gasoline caused by the explosion. who placed a bounty on him during the Vietnam War ) used primarily a Pre-64 Winchester M. In 1975, Hathcock's health began to deteriorate, and he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. The company made its humble start in 1963in Gussago, Italywhen Giuseppe Pietta made a commitment to produce guns as authentic and true-to-original as possible. At the direction of Van Orden, USMC armorers began modifying some of thesporter weight rifles, fitting them with heavy Douglas target barrels and Unertl 8X scopes. Although never adopted for combat use by the U.S. military, some Model 70 rifles were used as sniping rifles during World War II, Korea and Vietnam.Soon after Pearl Harbor, two members of the U.S. Marine Corps Equipment Board, Capt. Here are the features to watch out for. May also want to read this American Rifleman article: Thank you! But I never did enjoy killing anybody. With this rifle, Carlos describes killing 7 more Viet Cong soldiers and shared the 8th VC with McAbee. Hathcock is the subject of a number of books including: Hathcock generally used the standard sniper rifle: the Winchester Model 70 chambered for .30-06 Springfield cartridges, with the standard 8-power Unertl scope. [22] As the general exited his encampment, Hathcock fired a single shot that struck the general in the chest, killing him. Although the model 70 was never officially approved for combat service during WWII, a number of Model 70s made their way into combat with USMC snipers. Being medically discharged, he received 100 percent disability pay. Adopting the Winchester Model 70 as the ideal Marine sniper rifle was a concept that had been floated by the Corps tactical marksmanship experts as far back as the early 1940s. The barrel is a "sendero" profile made by Bartlein and installed by Moon. FOLLO .more .more 2.6K Dislike Share Indian Gunner 26.3K subscribers. Although suffering from severe burns to his face, trunk, and arms and legs, Staff Sergeant Hathcock assisted the injured Marines in exiting the burning vehicle and moving to a place of relative safety. Only thing I would add is I forgo the 6X as I dont think its precise. 134,606 views Dec 6, 2020 Winchester Model 70 (.30-06) rifle review in Hindi. Hathcock generally used the standard sniper rifle: the Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope. George H. Hurt of the 3rd Marine Divisions newly formed sniper school at Da Nang, Vietnam, checked the 8X Unertl scope mounted on a Winchester Model 70. We at Winchester Repeating Arms wish to take this opportunity to salute all those who have answered our nations call to serve. In an effort to meet every model 70 owner's needs, we are pleased to offer rifle parts which span this broad spectrum of conditions. We want you to receive a part which looks exactly right on your vintage rifle, or is precisely what you need to complete your custom masterpiece. They are fragile and the external rings may or may not offer as fine adjustments for windage and elevation. Carlos N. Hathcock II, who won the Wimbledon. What type of rifle did Carlos Hathcock use? The Winchester Model 70 represented perhaps the epitome of the bolt-action sporting rifle. The Winchester Model 70 is a bolt action sporting rifle. He would go into the woods with his dog and pretend to be a soldier and hunt imaginary Japanese soldiers with the old Mauser his father, Carlos Norman Hathcock (19191985), brought back from World War II. Hathcock was an excellent sharpshooter by then, winning the Wimbledon Cup shooting championship in . I told a gunny, 'Bring [him] back here.' [24][25][26][27][self-published source], After this mission, Hathcock returned to the United States in 1967. Winchester Model 70 "standard Rifle" manufactured in 1941 with medium-heavy target barrel and "U.S.M.C.-SNIPER" Unertl telescopic sight. Not what he was able to get the Marine Corps to adopt. The USMC was still using the Model 70s as both target rifle for international match competition and pseudo-sniper rifle work . THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING VETERAN JOURNALISM - JOIN SOFREP+ This rifle is illustrated and described on pages 66 and 67 of "The One Round War" by Peter Senich. Winchester requested the Marines evaluate the rifles generally for suitability of use in combat, and specifically for use as sniper rifles. On May 20th, 1959, at 17 years of age, Carlos N. Hathcock II fulfilled his childhood dream by enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. Snipers often did not have a third party present, making confirmation difficult, especially if the target was behind enemy lines, as was usually the case. Carlos Hathcock's sniper rifle! All it would take is an '06 reamer if one was inclined. Answer (1 of 3): If my reading comprehension is still intact; going by memory I seem to recall reading that Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock ( I.E. A 1951 U.S. Marine Corps report on the subject categorically rejected the procurement of any new Model 70 sniper rifles: There is no Marine Corps requirement for a special rifle for use by snipers in the Marine Corps. This shot covered a distance of 2500 yards. This one is in 308 and came from the AMU. In two tours in the 1960s, he wandered through the big bad bush in the Republic of South Vietnam, and with a rifle made by Winchester, a heart made by God and a discipline made by the Marine Corps, he stalked and killed 93 of his countrys enemies.. The sniper, known only as the "Cobra," had already killed several Marines and was believed to have been sent specifically to kill Hathcock. There are currently no customer product questions on this lot. [2] Jo gave birth to a son, whom they named Carlos Norman Hathcock III. Hathcock pulled seven Marines from the flame-engulfed vehicle, suffering severe burns (some third-degree) to his face, arms, and legs, before someone pulled him away and placed him in water because he was unaware of how badly he had been burnt. The only problem was the fact that this scope reticle did not have something that all snipers use with modern-day sniper scopes, Mil Dots. Carlos used a Winchester Model 70 .30-06 match ammunition loaded with 173-grain boat-tailed bullets, also used an 8-power Unertl scope. Composite stock of course. It had a standard weight barrel as well as a clip guide milled into the receiver bridge so 5-round stripper clips could quickly and easily charge the magazine. This listing is for a preowned Winchester 70 bolt action rifle chambered in 300 Win Mag with a 3+1 capacity and a 26" barrel in . I am hoping to have one built myself someday. If I don't get those bastards, then they're gonna kill a lot of these kids dressed up like Marines. Throughout its life, the Model 70 has been offered in . . Some of the stocks were fiberglass bedded. The WWII U.S.M.C. The Winchester Model 70 is a bolt-action sporting/hunting rifle. Land told Hathcock to "put another round in her." Hathcock fired again and her body convulsed. In turn, the Winchester factory had submitted a sniper prototype of the Model 70 fitted with a 10-round detachable box magazine to the US Army back in the early 1950s. Some of the snipers now in Vietnam were not yet born when the telescopic sights they use were employed in a different war. Carlos Hathcock usually used a Winchester Model 70 in .30 .06. Yeah it was, it was missing the an action screw and one that held on the trigger guard. Likewise, many of the 300-plus Model 70 rifles purchased by the Marine Corps during World War II remained in inventory and, except for the handful diverted for unofficial sniping use, continued to be used by Marine marksmen for match use throughout the 1950s. [10] When Hathcock saw a glint (light reflecting off the enemy sniper's scope) in the bushes, he fired at it, shooting through the scope and killing the sniper. The precision and reliability of the model 70's controlled-round-feed action meant a cartridge could be slowly and quietly chambered with a single hand - something which was more difficult with a push-feed action. The Winchester Model 70 is a bolt-action, sporting rifle that can be used for hunting or shooting. My Navy Long Range Rifle (that I used at the Interservice Championship Long Range Match to win the 720 pictured above) started life as a Model 721 .300 H&H. It was built up by Crane in .300 Win Mag. "[35], Hathcock's son, Carlos Hathcock III, later enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps;[36] he retired from the Marine Corps as a Gunnery Sergeant after following in his father's footsteps as a shooter and became a member of the Board of Governors of the Marine Corps Distinguished Shooters Association.[37]. ][21][22] He was not informed of the details of the mission until he accepted it. This is debatable. The price is set at USD$1,750,000.00. First rate article outlining the service of the Model 70. The Winchester Model 70 is a bolt-action sporting/hunting rifle. A Lyman micrometer sight base is mounted on the left side of the receiver. These marines were unwilling to leave their preferred rifle at home and carry the approved, but less accurate Springfield M1903 into battle. A July 1967 American Rifleman article by Frank G. McGuire, SnipersSpecialists in Warfare, reported: The 8X telescopic sight was chosen in World War II when it was teamed with the 03 rifle. The report concluded that the best rifle/scope combination for use by U.S. Marine snipers was the Winchester Model 70 topped with an 8X target scope made by the Unertl Co. While most early model 70 sniper rifles were standard rifles, modified by the Marines for sniper use, this would not be the case for subsequent Winchester rifles coming into US military service. In 1966, Hathcock started his deployment in the Vietnam War as a military policeman and later became a sniper after Captain Edward James Land pushed the Marines into raising snipers in every platoon. Gunny Hathcock's venerable Winchester could certainly tell a tale or two. "The only difficulty I had with Carlos was that he'd stay out there too long. He did however adapt according to the conditions and once even used the M2 Browning machine gun! The group started running towards Hathcock and Land. The stock is nicely figured American walnut with checkered forearm and pistol grip and has the Winchester semi-gloss varnish finish. Can't recall if they were 264 or 7mm Rem mag offhand. Tribute rifles have the general appearance and build spec of the original Marine rifles, where replica rifles attempt to be correct to the original rifles in every way, including a serial number which falls into the correct date range. Read today's "The Armed Citizen" entry for real stories of law-abiding citizens, past and present, who used their firearms to save lives.

Quest Diagnostics Varicella Titer Cost, Articles C