browning 348 winchesterbrowning 348 winchester

Barnes makes some .348 diameter bullets in 220 and 250 grain, plus they have made 165 grain bullets that seem to come and go from the lineup. }, Our single 348 Winchester load operates at or under the old SAAMI guideline of 43,000 CUP, so it is safe to use in any/all rifles thusly chambered, that arein normal operating condition. Later, the 1886 was chambered for the .33 WCF, a medium bore cartridge designed for use with smokeless powder. When you get close to maximum loads that start to push back against the bolt more than normal, it will tell you by giving the lever a little pop you can feel. Just an outstandfing example of a Browning Model 71 Limited Editon High Grade rifle (serial # 00899PR6R7) in the 348 Winchester, with 24" barrel. Browning Model 71 High Grade Rifle .348 Win. Browning Model 71 "High Grade" rifle chambered in 348 Winchester. The loss of the similar-sized 1895 didnt mean Winchester dropped all of the 1895s chamberings, but it did end their production of a lever action rifle in those calibers. Nothing has shot really bad, and I dont recall anything reaching 3. Regardless of whether I needed to know, I wanted to know, so I tried it. (ship to you) Its a bit selfish, during times of shortages, when so many folks need to protect their families, to slow us down because you ordered carelessly or want to change your order. Why would it matter, and when would you operate it upside down? The Winchester Model 71 .348 Lever Action Rifle. For many years, Remington offered .348 ammo using a 200 grain Core-Lokt soft-point bullet with the same ballistics as the Winchester 200 grain load, but this load was discontinued in the late 1970s. The rifle is hand engraved by T. Naka and comes with a Williams peep sight attached with factory holes. )20 Round Box. It got a stock and forend design that many credit to an NRA design team headed by Townsend Whelen. The new Model 71 rifle and its in-between .348 caliber cartridge were intended to replace both. Item : TJP00252712. To get the answer, one has to realize there was a battle going on inside Winchester at the time. In 2013, Winchester quit making 348 brass, so weve been out of loaded 348 ammo since 2014. [citation needed] The .348 is also the basis for the .348 Ackley Improved, The .348 Ackley improved has about a 200 fps advantage over the standard pushing the 200 grain FTX bullet at 2800 feet a second with some of the new hybrid powders. A lot of changes were underway at Winchester at that time. This question stems from sight makers not listing the 71 in their charts. To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. These years are approximates since Winchester start and end dates from that period get a little fuzzy. I recently had the opportunity to hunt free range Nilgai along the coast of Texas. With an Accu-Fit stock and left hand adjustable bolt, this rifle is a perfect choice for anyone! The action has light operational wear and there are a few scattered minor marks on the receiver. I had one brief range session and fired one box of the relatively rare .348 cartridges. ], Check out with Sezzle and split your entire order into. The top of the barrel at the rear, the top of the chamber ring, the left of the bolt and both locking lugs are each marked NP. Checkout with your new Bass Pro Shops CLUB Card and earn points on your order. Unleaded bullets are required for hunting, so this was a problem. No ammo is tamper proof! Please help to demonstrate the notability of the topic by citing, Barnes, Frank C., ed. This rifle remains in Very Good condition with only. The .348 has one of the most rapidly tapering bodies of any cartridge made. The gun is perfect and I can find no marks on it anywhere. The latest Winchester/Miroku Model 71 carried a 2013 MSRP of $1469.99 for the Standard model (with a select walnut stock) and $1659.99 for the Deluxe model (with a Grade IV walnut stock and cut checkering). was only chambered to the Winchester Mode 71 tubular-magazined lever-action rifle. Factory ammo is very expensive but luckily I have a bunch of ammo to go with the rifle. The .348 Win. That sounds like a long time ago now, but one has to realize it was one of the very last lever actions from Winchester. We will have to have a copy of their FFL or their resellers permit. Early 71s also had a long tang, shortened in post-war production. However, while the .348 is not as vicious a kicker as most modern Magnum cartridges, it is hardly trifling. Their address will go into the shipping address on our order form. I have not heard the bullets weight, but have an email out. I think of the Winchester 71, and I picture one laid across a red and black plaid Pendelton wool jacket in some north woods cabin. The .348 Winchester was most popular with hunters in Canada and Alaska, as it could be used to take down elk and moose as well as dealing with any brown bears which wanted to contest the hunters claim to their kill. But he wouldnt have many answers since he really wasnt interested back then. The Model 71 .348 Winchester was manufactured during 1986 and 1987 in rifle configuration with a 24-inch barrel, and in carbine with a 20-inch barrel. This is one of the most powerful lever gun cartridges ever designed and can drop any North American big game in the woods. There are a few scratches and bumps on the wood starting at the bottom and back of the fore end and the right side of the stock. . If you had to find something to cover all these bases, the .348 does pretty well. Those locking bolts went straight up and down on the 1886, but are slanted slightly rearward on the 71. Your session is about to timeout due to inactivity. I fully expect an aperture sight would allow tighter groups. Hopefully, we can serve you all. The stocks have only a few scattered minor nicks and scratches. DKT and other custom makers make bullets also. The .348 was one of the most powerful rimmed rounds ever used in a lever action rifle. Do not contact us and ask to change an order youve already placed. The original Model 71 was an improvement on the Model 1886, the designation Winchester gave when they simplified the options offered and consolidated the caliber offerings to just .348 Winchester. It was a pretty exotic thing to hunt and fish in other states at that time, so he was a regular celebrity among the local hunters and fishermen. Although several powders produce satisfactory results, the Hornady Handbook particularly recommends IMR 4320 and IMR 4350. Browning Model 71 Carbine in 348 Winchester | Long Range Hunting Forum Forums Sold/Expired Browning Model 71 Carbine in 348 Winchester Biebs Dec 4, 2021 Help Support Long Range Hunting Forum Become a supporting member 1 2 Next B Biebs Well-Known Member Joined Jan 26, 2015 Messages 617 Dec 4, 2021 #1 The high grade Walnut does have a few signs of wear in the finish, but presents . Sold as a 2 rifle set, 2nd rifle can be viewed online - Browning Model 71 Cabela's ID # 8818820. It was simply the next rifle designed after the Model 70 bolt action, thus it became the Model 71. The .348 is shaped for its purpose of hunting things that can eat you. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you. 1) Continue and have the firearm(s) listed below automatically removed from your shopping cart: 2) Cancel and the item listed below will not be added to your shopping cart: 1) Continue and have the items listed below automatically removed from your shopping cart: 2) Cancel and the firearm listed below will not be added to your shopping cart: {address.city}, {address.stateOrProvinceName}, {address.postalCode}, You can unsubscribe at any time. This isnt a big deal to me because 250-grain .348 bullets are almost non-existent, and for the hunting purposes I have for this rig, I dont need them. The recoil impulse from a 400 grain bullet at 1700 fps will be different from a 200 at 2500 fps. The 250 grain load developed a reputation for excessive recoil, so most hunters settled on the middle weight, 200 grain bullet. We can ship ammunition to the rest of New York State, but we must ship through a Federal Firearms Licensee or what the state calls a "Registered Seller of Ammunition". Best ammunition for rifles and guns for sale. The LOP measures 13 1/8 from the front of the trigger to the back of the buttplate. To use a general term, Henry was what we would probably call an outdoorsman. Lock, Stock & Barrel Investments J. Scott Rupp takes a first look at the Springfield M1A Loaded rifle chambered in the popular 6.5 Creedmoor. Even with simplified manufacturing, the Model 71 was expensive. I think its a great round, powerful and capable of knocking down anything in North America. And the 71 got the full treatment. Mechanics: The action functions correctly. This rifle is in about Excellent condition with about 99% of its metal finish remaining, and there are only a few light marks in the wood. It seems heavier than that, but it may be more of a visual illusion caused by its beefiness than anything. The high grade Walnut does have a few signs of wear in the finish, but presents very well. I think mine shoots pretty well, and better than I expected. Hammer had in stock its 162-grain Shock Hammer copper-alloy .348, flat-pointed with a large nose cavity. I tried them at 50 yards at first since I didnt know where they would impact with my sight settings, and the first load tried gave 1.25 groups at just a little under 1800 fps. Like . Model 71 rifles came with a round 24 inch barrel and short rifles (carbines) were supplied with a round 20 inch barrel. The stock not only has a pistol grip, but has a straighter, higher comb. They had already dropped the 1800 part from model numbers (the Model 1886 became the 86, the Model 1894 became the 94, etc). The barrel is what I would call medium-heavy, so another four inches should add noticeably to the front end, and I dont think thats a good thing with a rifle of this type. It wasand remainsa big-game go-to combination. The stocks have scattered little nicks and lines with the most notable being on the right side of the forearm and right side of the buttstock. It is excellent for any North Americanbig gamein woods or brush, if the 250 grain bullet is used, but not especially suited to long range (400 yards and beyond) as a result of the need to use flat-nose slugs due to the Model 71s tubular magazine. Simi Valley, CA 93065. In the first years of manufacture, the receiver sight was mounted on the rear of the bolt. I prefer the look and feel of the longer barrel, which invariably had a four-round half-magazine. SKU : P00252712. However, an off-set side mount could be used. A guy who makes gas checks asked on a forum if anyone had a .348 rifle to try some new checks he was making, and I volunteered. Browning made Standard and High Grades and made each of them in both 20 and 24 barrels. This rifle features a game scene on each side of the receiver. Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information. Overall, the stocks are in about Fine-plus condition. The 250-grain bullet was a real powerhouse. If you are using a screen reader and are having problems using this website, please call 1-800-227-7776 for assistance. Incidentally, unlike previous Winchester lever action rifles, the 71's nomenclature is not date based. The super fast .220 Swift cartridge had just come out, and the .270 Winchester had been a hit since 1923, so velocity was in. Post World War II examples used the so-called short tang and the stock's shape was broadened and lengthened. Recently, I wanted to use the .348 for California feral hogs. We have LOTS of ammo in stock and are making more at a huge volume on a daily basis. The slick tapered case slips easily into the side loading gate, aligned and guided in by the groove machined into the gate. This is fine for targets, but I would remove the Merit aperture completely and go with the sights wide open threaded aperture receptacle for hunting. Winchester Ammunition offered a special run of factory loads then almost immediately announced the discontinuation of the .348 cartridge. When 30-50 people per day send emails asking for tracking information and we have to pull that information up, then type it out and email it, it takes a huge portion of our work day that we should be using to ship those orders to customers in need. The .348 was one of the most powerful rimmed rounds ever used in a lever action rifle. He was no stranger to hard work, and my dad spent a lot of time working with him, but Henry was known to simply disappear on short notice and be gone for weeks at a time. $46.74 Make Offer %local_inventory_count% Free Shipping! The .348 Winchester is an American rifle cartridge. Brass is available on a seasonal basis from Winchester, which means they make some when they feel like it. I have heard it said that they will feed when held at any angle, including upside down. SAAMI rates the standard pressure of the cartridge at 40,000 CUP. In dropping the 1886, Winchester stopped making rifles that used the .45-70 and other medium and large blackpowder cartridges. It is easily evident that the Japanese reproductions are of higher quality than the original Winchesters. But later, something would remind dad of Henry when we were out working on the farm and he would share a story. Appears as new, comes with original box. Thats it. ), In 1987 Browning produced a modern version of the Model 71 in Japan. This is a limted edition Grade 1 71 Carbine and was only made 1. That was a big case of streamlining the lineup. I own a Winchester 1892, which is sort of a scaled-down, pistol-caliber version of the 1886 and 71 action. Browning made them for less than a year across 1986-1987 only, and in similar variations as Winchester. { Click OK to extend your time for an additional 0 minutes. .348 factory loads were offered with 150 grain (MV 2890 fps), 200 grain (MV 2530 fps) and 250 grain (MV 2350 fps) jacketed flat point hunting bullets. Your $25 Instant Credit will be automatically applied at checkout. These sights bring a bunch of money by themselves. I knew Frank Pachmayr, a great gun guy, and his mount is a clever arrangement. They considered them both rifles, but with different barrel lengths. Be sure of what you are ordering. There is no Old West barrel band around the forend, it having only a blued steel cap. Id always pump dad for information about Henrys hunts. Not only were all my Brownings more accurate than the Winchesters, but the20-inch carbine Browning, will give about the same velocity as the 24 inch Winchester rifle..and the 24 inch Browning will give 100 to 150 fps more velocity than the 20 inch Browning version. The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network. Copyright 2011-2023 All Rights Reserved. Buying . I am not sure if Winchester drilled and tapped many (or any) original 71s for receiver sights- I have seen them that were not. The following additional restrictions apply: CA: All ammo to State of California must be shipped to an FFL or a Registered Ammunition Seller. When Harold Johnson of Cooper Landing, Alaska made his .450 Alaskan and .50 Alaskan conversions 50+ years ago, he used Model 71s. The right of the barrel is marked BROWNING MODEL 71 CALIBER .348 WIN. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions. Like the original Winchesters, the 24 barrel appears to be more popular. Winchester had chambered the previous Model 1886 for .33 Winchester (.338 inch bullet) and the Model 1895 for .35 Winchester (.358 inch bullet).

Exeter Finance Payment Phone Number, Logan Police Scanner Frequencies, Shooting In Mccomb, Ms Last Night, Brenda Survivor Baby Father, How Do You Communicate With A Pig Riddle, Articles B