biggest buck killed in arkansasbiggest buck killed in arkansas

"I could feel myself starting to sway. It was a long 4-year process, but it paid off.". This deer stepped out on an old road directly across the patch from the shoot house I was in, Hooper said. Its pretty common to scroll through your social media news feed this time of year and see various photos of bowhunters sitting behind the monster bucks they have shot. Subscriber Services. Pennsylvania: 34 deer per square mile. The hunt unfolded on Nov. 28. Score: 155 inches. He couldnt retrieve his deer since he had to go immediately to the hospital. HUNTING TIPS OF A REAL PRO. Dan Taylor, 33, of Shinglehouse, McKean County, bagged a massive 10-point with a 19-inch spread on the opening day of rifle season in north central Pennsylvania. Ryan didn't bother taking his bow that day, as he'd been hunting for seven straight days and hadn't seen the big deer once. He picked up his fathers favorite riflea Sako 85 Finnlight chambered in .25-06 Remington. From his stand, he was able to see the buck go down. We started leasing this property in July of 2020, and this buck was the first deer that I got on camera, he said. In regions without great habitat, many deer seem to plateau out after age 4 1/2 and don't make the huge leaps in antler development. As he waited for the sun to rise, he couldnt help but think of all his memories of the place, as well as the many times his father had taken him hunting as a kid. Yes, the two most giant bucks ever didn't fall to the bullet or arrow of a hunter. However, some just keep growing. He fractured a bone in his right . In July, Lee found a track that looked like Leftys. "There was no way he could get any bigger. "At least I think there were six. Lucky hat brings nurse Jefferson County monster, 159-inch buck killed by 15-year-old East Rankin Academy student, With hunting season in the books, its time to make plans to bring your bucks to the Louisiana Sportsman Big Buck Contest. Luke Wilson of McComb was stunned when he and his brother walked up on the big buck Luke had shot minutes earlier in a big cutover on his deer lease in Pike County. Buster was a magnificent animal and exceeded our expectations, Kamps said. Deer. I didn't know he was 214. The next day, Luke Wilson was back in the same stand at 3:30. The rack gross scores 214 1/8 and nets 212 1/8. Field Dressed Weight: 431-Lbs. The day before Halloween, Johnathan saw the buck chasing a doe at 4:30 p.m., but the buck stayed out of range. He had cameras at the private hunting lease he hunts with his brother, Josh. It hit true. However, when it happened, he was focused on finishing the job. With his head down, did I hit an antler? The first time, the buck was chasing does and didnt come close enough for a shot. Two weeks ago, Arkansas hunter Chase Watson took the biggest buck he's ever killed however it came with a price. County: Hunter: Date : 221 1/8: non: Washington: Richard Little: Fowler's buck scored 212 6/8 making it the #12 All time Non-Typical in Arkansas Matt Howard had the biggest Typical that scored 172 6/8 making it the #44 largest typical in Arkansas to date. but then, within seconds the archer heard him crash to the ground. This deer had a track that was undeniable. . After a few days of class, he again left on Thursday night and headed home to hunt. I hit it four times, pointing in each direction once.. Then there were the two drop tines, with the longest being 7 inches off the left beam. On October 17, Watson got pictures of the buck from his cellular trail cam near the treestand. In 2010 the buck was just an 8-point. On Sept. 30, 2021, he was glad of these strategic decisions. Did I hit him in the leg? And dont forget about theMississippi Sportsman Big Buck Photo Contest, which is free and offers great monthly Sportsman Gear prizes. Instantly, my mind started in on me, he said. A little after 5 p.m., we heard running from the creek bed behind us. In this edition of "From The Stand," Pat Hogan explains the importance of being aware of proper clearance when using your bow or crossbow out in the field. "I remember the exact time because I got a text from a friend saying that he had killed a buck." One young buck the family called Lefty frequented the area. During that stretch, Hall finally encountered the buck twice. Let us know what you thought about these Monsters! Kamps was hunting along some thick bedding cover with steep bluffs around him. Eventually, a doe walked right between the two challengers. The buck was definitely dead. It was taken on a morning hunt during the modern gun Christmas season. STACY FOWLER Danville, AR The big non-typical buck killed by Stacy Fowler of Danville is the largest deer taken in the Natural State last season. Bryant scored big in 2007 when he took the Oklahoma state record whitetail deer. This deer means so much, Reed said. "I was standing there holding my Mathews Helium bow, and my knees were knocking," Ryan remembers. Around 2:30, Hall heard some deer and spotted two does walking through the water. Moreland, with his Arkansas archery buck. '. Ryan hunted this buck for four years on family property. Amazingly, the doe blew past and hurriedly got on the upwind side of Ryan and stopped. "This was one buck that didn't have ground shrinkage, but had ground growth," he said. 5 Purdue outlasted Wisconsin 63-61. Jonathan Moreland grew up hunting with a compound bow until, one day, he saw one of his fathers old recurves hanging on the wall. Besides how big he was, I couldnt keep my eyes off the double drop tines.. I had no idea this county could even produce anything like that. Despite having broken off a 9-inch tine on his left side when he crashed, there was no ground shrinkage. He went right to where the doe had been, then turned to follow her.. At this point hes probably 30 yards, and this one doe starts stomping, so he turns and starts walking toward them.. Lefty was gone., Then, our family received news that rocked me to my core, Lee said. In the Midwest, with ample nutrition and healthy deer numbers, bucks seem more likely to continue to make the big jumps in antler development after 5 1/2. The colossal deer has a 25 2/8-inch inside spread, two tines over 13 inches and superb mass. He closed the remaining distance needed to get within range, dropped into a kneeling position and took the shot. Surprisingly, one camera took 50 to 60 pictures of the monster within a few days. With a net non-typical score of 212 6/8 it is also our largest whitetail ever taken with a muzzleloader. A couple hours later, Kamps returned with a tracking party. My dad started taking me when I was three years old. Then, later in the season, he finally crossed paths with the deer one last time. It is also the new state record for the biggest buck killed with archery equipment. The buck was as massive as he'd looked on camera, and the biggest Moreland had ever killed. . A native of Hattiesburg and graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi, Cleveland lives on Ross Barnett Reservoir near Jackson with his wife Pam. He was 19 inches wide.. Wilson kills 25-point buck that produces nearly 190 inches green. His spot put him facing eastward out into the field. That's the beauty of hunting. Not only that, but he also got the biggest buck killed in Arkansas during the 2008-09 deer season. An hour or so later, at 7:30 a.m. on Dec. 22, Hooper would realize his good fortune when a bigger buck, not showing the rutting behavior of the many that had passed that morning, suddenly appeared. "I thought he was going to go downhill after 2012," Ryan admits. []. Stephen Tucker's non-typical record once the largest hunter-killed non-typical in the country was taken in Sumner County in 2016 and is the fourth largest non-typical of all time. Im thankful for the knowledge he instilled in me in how to hunt big deer.. Read other stories about big bucks killed this season by clickinghere. Arnold, an environmental engineer for Tyson Foods, is an expert bowhunter who hunts in some of America's most . I leaned Dads .25-06 against the tree and tried to collect myself, he said. The doe he was following came right beneath my platform.. I still cant believe it. We purchased more cellular trail cameras. Whitetail deer harvest in W.Va. grows by more than 12 percent in 2022. Wilson sat back down in his tripod stand, realizing how he stuck out in the huge cutover. I sprayed some Tinks Doe in Heat Urine, more to check the wind direction that anything else, he said. Justin Kamps first learned of this deer in 2019, but it wasnt on their radar. West Virginia hunters killed a total of 118,606 deer . The Boyett buck sits at . Men are terrible with sharing their emotions. The second time, I actually drew back, Hall says. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. "He stopped at 40 yards, standing behind some trees. But luck was on the side of Kyle Heuerman and his girlfriend Jennifer Weaver when they put an arrow through this 196-inch Illinois brute. All I could tell was that he was a big-bodied deer and had dark horns. Then, a big deer walked out of the timber to his left. The deer ran 40 yards and expired. It worked, Lee said. The charges cover violations in October 2014 when Joe Franz was hunting "Palmer," a deer believed to be the biggest whitetail buck ever bagged on video. It worked. But, I will keep shooting the 125s and 130s because around here, those are what you expect and they are trophies.. . Unbeknownst to Ryan, the buck would live three more years and make huge jumps each year. Nick continued to watch several bucks harass does throughout the morning, but chose not to take a shot at them. They didnt have any encounters with the deer until after the rut. The latter was a perfect candidate for the first-time hunter, so Ryan directed his cousin to shoot the smaller deer. Hunting public land, he killed a buck in the Natural State that would make a Midwesterner swoon. Heres a look at 10 of the most flexible long-range hunting cartridges. Official B&C measurer Glen Salow came up with a 'green ' gross score of 258 7/8 inches. The doe, however, wanted nothing to do with her pursuer and jumped into a nearby pond in an attempt to flee the buck. [], This is an easy two pot meal, one for the venison stroganoff and one for the starch that can be prepared at home or at the camp. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Remington Model 700 American Hunter Rifle Project, 7 Huge Bucks to Pump You Up for Deer Season, Boomstick Booners: Incredible Stories of Big Bucks, 15 Tips for Hunting Big-Buck Bedding Areas, X-Vision Optics Launches Thermal Impact Scope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA-ILA | Tennessee: House Committee to Vote on Pro-Gun Bills this Wednesday, 5 Reasons Squirrel Hunting is Perfect For Families | NRA Family, NRA Women | Hunting Dilemma: An Injured Buck Comes Walking Past Your Stand , How to Properly Clean and Store Your Rifle After Hunting Season, X-Vision Optics Launches Thermal Impact Scope, First Look: Blocker Outdoors Finisher Accessories, 10 Most Versatile Long-Range Hunting Cartridges, New For 2023: Smith & Wesson M&P FPC | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Launching 2023: KelTec R50 Rifle | NRA Family, New For 2023: Glock 47 MOS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Savage Arms 110 PCS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Davidson's Winchester Model 1895 Texas Ranger's Edition | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Colt King Cobra Target .22 LR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Fiocchi USA Appoints David Blenker As New CEO After Anthony Acitellis Retirement | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Product Preview: Holosun SCS-MOS Green | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 3 Self Defense Myths That Just Won't Go Away | NRA Family, How to Properly Clean and Store Your Rifle After Hunting Season | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Shotgunning 101: The Perfect Gun Mount | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glass Bedding A Rifle Stock | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New 4473 Released By BATFE | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Member's Hunt: Road Trip | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Springfield Launches New Online Shopping Experience | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Sarco, Inc. 2nd Amendment Pint Glass | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Women | Understanding Sectional Density (SD), 10 Most Versatile Long-Range Hunting Cartridges | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Behind the Bullet: .17 HMR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Riton Optics Celebrates 10th Anniversary | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Top 4 Ways to Carry a Binocular | NRA Family, Preview: Mission First Tactical 24-oz. It ran about 50 yards and expired in the middle of the open field.While the buck scored 166 inches, it was the character that impressed her and others so much. Alabama: 25 deer per square mile. I took one last look at his antlers, couldnt believe what I was looking at, and then took aim. Sub-hed: When the Washington Blade caught up with Gisele Barreto Fetterman this month, she was looking forward to some upcoming travel plans Yeah I'll bet she was!!! Follow along to see exactly how. I was super excited. The spread was 16 5/8 inches, and the longest tines were the two G2s at 8 1/8 and 7 7/8 inches. Mike Clerkin heads to Buffalo County, Wisconsin to bowhunt whitetails. He was 28 yards, quartering away, when he stopped. Soon after daylight, a spike and small 8-point walked out. The excited hunter reached for his cell phone. Franz finally killed the deer on an Oct . Follow along as the unbelievable story of Arkansas's New Longbow State Record unfolds!Watch as some of the most rare occurrences ever recorded on film during. The deer ran about 200 yards and crashed. I took a picture and texted it to my dad. [], This is an easy two pot meal, one for the venison stroganoff and one for the starch that can be prepared at home or at the camp. Bowhunting gives the deer a chance to grow. Date of Kill: Aug. 22, 2021. With a whopping 40 inches of non-typical growth, he has a gross Boone & Crockett score of 215 3/8. This time he got a gross non-typical score of 261 3/8, with a net of 230 7/8. I was locked down by the doe that was really close.". "But he evaded me. Jason Lucas didnt have any history with this buck from prior seasons, but he knew this was a surefire target when he first saw it in 2021. He was set up in a blind along a fence row between two cut cornfields. It was an overwhelming feeling. Ive been putting food plots in, hunting hard and so much more for years, and it finally came together. And I knew I would get to do some duck hunting, now that the buck was dead. He said he knew hed hit the buck based on the deers reaction at the shot, but . Watts shot the buck at about 50 yards with a rifle chambered in 6.5mm Creedmoor. Hall hunts some swampy ground, and some of it is navigable by water. The age of the deer was estimated to be 4 years old, and the buck had a significant jump in antler growth in the past year. I was trying to get another arrow in him, but he kind of flopped over in some brush and I couldnt get another [shot] from the stand.. Matt Reed tagged his biggest whitetail buck ever on Kentucky's September 3rd archery opener, after eying the buck all summer. It's a mirror-image 180-inch mainframe 4x4 with 34 inches of non-typical points. Dont forget to enter photos of your bucks in theBig Buck Photo Contestto be eligible for monthly giveaways. "I wasn't going to kill him," he says. Mississippi Sportsman Frequently Asked Questions. Every deer I harvest means something. He was well outside his ears, and one of my brothers saw it, too, and he agreed that it was just a 6-point. Later, Watson began hunting him two days after the archery season began. It spent some time in the CRP, and then entered the food plot. The next morning, he greeted sunrise from his tree stand. When he reached some thicker, taller grass, he did stop and turned to look back. I had just sat back down, and about 4:10, I heard a limb snap behind me to my right. The larger buck snort-wheezed twice. His summer and winter ranges didnt change much. Ryan's buck had the genetics and nutrition to continue to skyrocket. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features NFL Sunday Ticket Press Copyright . Give a Gift By late afternoon, about 15 deer were out in the open, including a couple of nice bucks. Jacob Latimer first learned of this buck during the 2020 deer season. And on Thursday, Myers was found guilty of the . I could never get a consistent wind. Here are all of the results: 1. Lucas drew back, settled his pin, and took the 38-yard shot. A few minutes later, his friend, David, who was also in the tree, said he heard something in the bottom. Arkansas Biggest Bucks: Score: Typ? Chase Watson shot the biggest buck he's ever killed two weeks ago while hunting from a treestand on his family's farm in Arkansas. On Nov. 23, they decided to move in. I thought he was bigger than 190. About an hour into the afternoon hunt, a doe appeared about 100 yards away and walked down through the finger of trees. They were very happy for me to take this buck. Watts shot the buck at about 50 yards with a rifle chambered in 6.5mm Creedmoor. Again, Moreland tried to call his buddy with the tracking dog again, but couldnt reach him. "I knew he had potential." The buck took three steps and bounced back. A friend killed a big buck that he entered in the Big Buck Classic, and Watts said the bigger buck was running with it. On Dec. 8, 2021, though, he did. And to get close enough to kill one, you need to be smarter than they are. At daybreak a doe busted through the cedar thicket with an eight-point suitor following close behind. The moment Moreland got photos of a buck with wide, heavy antlers and what looked like 15 scoreable points, he made the decision to target only that deer. Moreland, who always brings his camera along to film hunts, talked to the rolling camera for about 20 minutes before settling into his climber to wait. After several minutes of waiting for a shot opportunity, the deer finally turned broadside. They dreamed of another season hunting this big deer. He'd lost a split G-2, but he'd grown a drop tine and matching split brow tines.". The 2021-22 deer season is a wrap, and some big whitetails fell between the opening and closing bells. That was set to change on Aug. 22, though. And he was this time., My emotions were not what I had thought they would be in this moment, Lee continued. When the buck stopped in an opening about 35 yards away, Watson drew his pin and let go. Bucks like this in New Hampshire on public land are far and few, Martinson said. Lightning had struck him for the third time! That errant shot allowed him to stay in the stand, wait another hour or so and shoot and kill a 183-inch 16-point non-typical with double drop tines. I killed a lot of deer with a gun before I started bowhunting about six years ago. He has trail . I noticed on my iPad that it was 1:50 p.m., so I figured Id better keep my eyes peeled in case something came by.. Beka Garris is a freelance writer and Outdoor Life contributor who enjoys writing about all things hunting and fishing. "I've always loved deer hunting," the young sportsman says. He fractured a bone in his right . It was another doe, and the big buck was right behind her. It was a special deer. Bowhunting is the primary management tool in this region. On Friday evening, Nov. 8, Ryan saw the monster for the first time all season. If you have a deer you would like us to consider listing here e-mail us with a picture, story and details. His father remembered some advice from Grandpa Hill (Jimmy) about hunting near water on rainy days. Lance Hills South Carolina StudScore: 155 inchesDate of Kill: Aug. 22, 2021Location: Calhoun County, S.C.Weapon: 7mm-08 Weatherby. The agreement has not been finalized . He had high hopes for the afternoon hunt. Throughout the day, we saw a few bucks that I rattled in, one being a nice 4-year-old, Kamps said. However, this 4-year quest came to fruition on the most stereotypical whitetail rut day on the calendar for most of North America: Nov. 15. "About 50 yards behind the doe, there he was. It was a very sunny day with temps in the mid-50s. Two weeks ago, Arkansas hunter Chase Watson took the biggest buck hes ever killed however it came with a price. That errant shot allowed him to stay in the stand, wait another hour or so and shoot and kill a 183-inch 16-point non-typical with double drop tines. I glanced over and all I could see was antlers, he said. The G3 on the right had three stickers and the left G3 had two. On Nov. 4, 2021, that became reality. His stand location was in a draw between two ridges that led to a destination ag field. Even so, I didn't figure that would matter if I aimed at the right spot and squeezed off a clean shot. The story of Loyd's Arkansas buck shows why effective deer management in many states is creating the potential for record-book . I was shooting my younger brothers gun, a .308 Howa bolt action. Gordon Whittington heads north to his personal Missouri farm for some crossbow action. The rack gross scores 214 1/8 and nets 212 1/8. In fact, going into 2013 he'd shot two net Boone & Crocketts: one a non-typical scoring over 200, the other a typical from public land. | The buck ran about 35 yards, and Lucas watched him fall. When you see a photo of a young hunter with a world-class deer, it's tempting to wonder if he or she "lucked" into it, or if perhaps an older hunter did most of the scouting and strategizing. Instead, he recruited another friend to help him grid-search the woods. The John and Gisele Fetterman Romance: A Ken Burns Documentary. Hooper realizes his good fortune, even if the story belies just how good a shot he usually is. I was sick as he pranced off with his nose in the air. Purdue clinched the Big Ten regular-season title outright earlier in the day when Illinois beat After the excitement settled, he climbed down, called his friends and waited for them to arrive to assist with the recovery. Four hours later, Latimer returned, and followed the trail 140 yards to where the buck had fallen. That's as big as it sounds. He watched the buck working a licking branch from his tree, but again, didnt have a shot. "My dad started taking me as soon as I could climb a deer stand. Its hard to put into words. My dad gave me news that he had terminal liver and pancreatic cancer. Non-Typical: 312 inches. There were bucks going everywhere at one time, and I actually shot at another deer and missed. It checked a few scrapes and walked toward Lucas location. It was light and I couldnt really tell the direction. "I started getting pictures of him on my cameras. and the buck followed. After a quick congratulatory text, Ryan looked up to see a trotting doe. I killed him in the mock scrape I created., The deer ran 30 yards and tipped over. I saw him on camera in 2013, and he had grown a tremendous amount. Thats when the strap on the stick broke.. | I really had no idea.. However, every year the buck would become much more random as the Delta rut came closer. They talked a lot, and hunting was a common topic. . Before the hunt, Lance and his dad were talking and couldnt decide on which stand to sit. I shot and put the arrow at the back of the ribs, and it went through everything important.". Check out these 10 monster bucks that were taken throughout the country. Wisconsin: 33 deer per square mile. Hall just couldnt seem to be there at the same time as the buck.

Greenbriar Atlanta Crime Rate, Articles B