flattest shooting caliber to 500 yardsflattest shooting caliber to 500 yards

The spin rate helps to stabilize the projectile along its path, cut through drag and higher case capacities give the projectile more velocity thus delivering the bullet to the target more quickly. Nice summary of the subject for those of us who do not understand things like Coreolis Force and aerodynamic jump. The story of an old humpback Browning that's Sign up for the Field & Stream newsletter and get the latest intelligence straight to your inbox. Right now, shooters are obsessed with flat-shooting rifle cartridges. Im going to bookmark your website and keep checking for new details about once a week. A 30-06 will take any game on the NA Continent. THANK God for analysts like you Jim your passion for statistics really help us guys with our difficult choices and how we spend our hard earned money.. Im definitely sold on the 6.5-300 wby mag its definitely the new Era 270 in my books. Not many of us can afford the ammo, let alone the rifles and scopes that chamber it, in such calibers as 375 CheyTac, 408 CheyTac, or 416 Barrett. I already have a Swarovski Z6 3-18 bt. My grandkids have a poem for this photo: Cartridge cartridge on the table, choose the flattest if youre able. The 26 and 28 Nosler as well as the 6.5300 Weatherby Magnum all utilize heavy for caliber bullets with high ballistic coefficients that are stabilized by barrels with fast twist rates. I've heard that too! It's wide-open so anyone from beginners to pros, 25 caliber pocket guns through to race guns. No, its not a 6.5 Creedmoor, but few things are. 30-378 weatherby (214). Kind of underwhelming, right? Just dont try to enumerate its downsides to anyone who knows anything, because there arent any that matter. Im going to include a few in here, and my basis for including them is going to be inclusion in Federals 2013 catalog, because thats what Im basing my numbers off. 270 and 30-06 carry enough power out to 700 yards, 7mm pulls a bit further, and 300 win mag pulls a bit further still. And here they are: Flattest at 300 yards 240 Wby. Well placed shots seem to work and poorly placed shots tend to fail. For a moose and caribou combo hunt, it's certainly an easy choice..270 Winchester - Like the 30-06, this is a classic caliber that can take on any of North America's big game species. Based on the 7.6239/220 Russian cartridge case, the Valkyrie changes the personality of the AR-15. The .308 Winchester will win no ballistic awards; its simply a shorter version of the time-tested and beloved .30/06. Just saying, excellent job to tell the nature of all calibers for hunting from 100 to 700 yards for medium game. I still shoot a .270 caliber cartridge and the same 150gr bullet, but with a 3gr powder charge boost. Below is the information Ive gleaned from 17-caliber through 338. I see there are some others like 300Win mag as well and thats a very popular cartage so it should be there as well I would think. MY 45 cal ball travels at 1633fps with a standard charge, and 74-5gr for a full charge (2040fps). bullet to offset wind deflection. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'backfire_tv-box-4','ezslot_7',175,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-backfire_tv-box-4-0'); Spinning high B.C. Therefore the .17 Remington is the round for you. These lists are awesome to go over. For example, A 7 SAUM, 280 AI and 7 Rem Mag. Precision, varmint, big-game, and dirt cheap NATO surplus ammo for plenty of cheap shooting. . Of course, the .270 Win was developed in 1925 when 1000 yard shots were effectively unheard of. Thats what makes a long-range hunters heart go pitter patter, and its what has kept Weatherby in business since 1945. Still, a flat-shooting cartridge will often perform well with wind as well, because it is in the air for less time between the shot and hitting the target. If you dont have good range finding equipment, youre hooped either way; humans will have extreme difficulty judging 700 from 725 without physical land markers or other range finding signs. Copyright Ron Spomer Outdoors document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) But as with the 6.5 PRC, there are not a lot of factory-ammo options to choose from. The 220 Swift would be my pick for coyotes, rodents, and probably pronghorn if it werent for the wind deflection issue. Cheers. . That's pretty dang flat. Therefore my velocity is up to around 3175fps, BC .434 G1 and the 500 yard drop is 23 with a 300 yard zero sight in. This cartridge existed in a cloak of obscurity for a long time; only recently have hunters began to see the potential it offers. But you wouldnt want to hunt with it. The actual rain is pretty old-school, not digital distances and whatnot, but it's cheap and the people who work there are great. Ive updated the chart description so its more clear that it isnt in inches. The rifle would be used for game to 600 yards (self imposed limit) up to the occasional Elk. So what can we learn from these numbers? Choosing the flattest shooting rifle cartridge in each caliber category seems fair, fun, and revealing, so well do that before identifying the all time top dog. You still need excellent range finding equipment and preferably have tested drops in your rifle in case your bullets have exaggerated BC claims. Mag. I normally go for high BC and heavy for cal but one place I do run light is I'll shoot a Barnes 110 TTSX 3600 fps in my 270 WSM, for light game and coyotes it's very effective! If I am mistaken, I am sure someone will chime in and let us both know. Low B.C. The 147-grain ELD-M bullet has a sectional density of .301 and a G1 Ballistic Coefficient of .697, which is arguably the highest ballistic coefficient of any 6.5 Creedmoor bullet. Surprisingly, even with all the extra recoil and muzzle blast, this cartridge will not shoot any flatter than most 6.5s. (For anyone who gets worked up about the fact that the .30/06 isnt on this list, feel free to swap it with this one, as long as you dont mind the extra kick. When the .264 Winchester Magnum was introduced about 60 years ago, it became a sensation with shooters looking to extend their reach in the field. However, the lead that the 25-06 has is pretty small. Nosler Trophy Grade Long Range with a 129-grain AccuBond Long Range bullet at 3,400 fps. Both are 338-378 Wby. Flattest at 500 yards Weatherbys wildly overbore 6.5-300 wins again! At 1000 yards a .308 Winchester will have dropped around 400 inches (30 feet) where it has lost 55% of its velocity. I love your work and what you share with us. At 500 yards . Just wondering where the 300 win mag ends up? Deciding on the three best flat-shooting cartridges does not come down simply to one statistic, but a combination of all the factors inherent to a cartridge. Always be open to new possibilities. At 300 yards, the hold over (assuming a 250 yard zero) is only 2.6 inches. Run those numbers on JBM. The smaller calibers drop like a rock past 500 yards. The 27 Nosler bests the .270 Winchester by about 400 fps with 150-grain bullets. I also want to give credit to a couple of long-range AR cartridges that deserve honorable mention. Lets start by acknowledging we can minimize our search by ignoring all cartridges within each caliber that dont produce maximum velocity in that caliber. Only a handful of .277-caliber cartridges are made today, but the .270 Winchester is still by far the most popular, given all the guns and loads out there for it. The 257 Weatherby Mag. For good reason. Please, keep up the great work! Nonetheless, 7mm bullets can be extremely aerodynamic and, as legendary elephant hunter Karamojo Bell proved, effective on even the largest animals. Drop is constant at the gravitational pull of 32 feet per second accelerating at 32 fps. Caliber Flattest Shooting Load BC; 7mm R Mag: Hor 139 gr InBd HvMag.480: 270 WSM (1) Fed 130 gr Nosler BT.428: 300 Win Mag: Hor 150 gr InBd . I love that you have gone above and beyond here and I see tremendous value in this knowledge. Great job. The 243 Winchester and 6mm Remington have reputations for shooting flat, but the lesser known 240 Weatherby magnum fires the same bullets at higher velocities, so its the flattest of the 24-calibers. The advent of precision rifle competitions and the laser rangefinder has increased the publics desire to go long. "Animal Instinct ammunition is optimized to deliver . However, at 400 yards it increases to 11.2 inches. The amount of drop is directly influenced by velocity, energy, rifle barrel, and bullet design. Thanks, 26 Nosler 127 gr LRX 3602 Ft./Sec. due to its larger diameter which increases drag. Case capacity is literally and figuratively the driving force here: Both Nosler offerings are based on the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum and both boast case capacities of 93.5 grains of water. and MV do. The 50 BMG is still supersonic past 1200 yards. For deer and lesser critters, its a solid 500-yard cartridge. Ditto the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5-300 Wby. Recoil is stiff and some find it hard to master. Its not all hype. Most common calibers are just fine for regular range shots under 300 yards. Ive included different bullet weights/BCs for most rounds to illustrate how BC changes drop at longer ranges. If it makes you feel better to hate the 6.5 Creedmoor, go ahead. For some reason it pushed Noslers 125-gr. The .223 Remington will easily take care of any varmint out to around 500 yards, but at extreme distances loses its punch. My father has been shooting a 6.5300 wby we had made for him in the early 80s and it was only limited by bullet construction. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Mag., according to Noslers Handloading Guide 9. Besides recoil, the downside is the limited availability of factory ammunition and rifles. I subscribed to your Feed as well. Well, nothing will save you if you mistakenly range a deer at 700 yards thats really at 800. 1.5" high at 100, would be dead-on at 250, and only drop 30" at 550. The .308 Winchester round shoots pretty flat out to 200 yards when it starts to drop. Misjudging a 5mph crosswind as 8mph will make a 5.3 difference at 500yd with my favorite varmint load (BC0.400/MV3,400). 95% of your shots will be inside 500 yards, and probably 80% inside 300. . This is one of the flattest shooting bullets available on the market, with a plethora of different size bullets available that range from 75 grains for small game, all the way up to 120 grains for deer. Most center-fire rifles that are legal for deer hunting can take a deer at 300 yards. again. Not only are new loads being offered, new ARs and even bolt action rifles for the Grendel are being introduced. In any caliber the cartridge that attains the highest muzzle velocity wins the flat shooter award, so theres no sense arguing that the 6.5 Grendel might shoot as flat as the 27 Nosler. Nope, pretty much matches a 308Win to 500 yards. I just want to quickly thank you for the great videos and for producing this table of bullet drop data. Nosler Trophy Grade Long Range, 175-grain AccuBond Long Range at 3,125 fps. again. Impeccable analysis here. 1. . rating, that 100-grain bullet is hanging in there. Ballistically, the cartridge is very similar to the 6.5 PRC, but unlike the PRC it uses a standard 0.473 rim diameter like the .308 Winchester. and .30 caliber bore . Every rifle is different. You are using an out of date browser. Richard Mann 243 and 25-06 had to be left out because it didnt have enough at 600 for even deer. It propels a 17 Grain bullet at 2,550 feet per second. The way in which cartridge manufacturers develop rounds to overcome these forces is the twist rates of the barrels in the rifles the cartridges are chambered in, developing longer, more aerodynamic bullets with narrower ogives and case capacity. It's still possible to get factory ammo for the cartridge, but current production .223 WSSM ammo normally uses heavier 50 or 55 grain bullets at . So it ends up being a very fair comparison. Think 30-30 necked down to a .25 cal. Preferred Caliber For 500 To 1,000 Yards And Beyond: 6.5 Creedmoor Preferred Rifle And Optic: A Rainier Arms precision rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and enhanced by H&H Precision with an Orias chassis from Killer Innovations. Based on the antique .404 Jeffery cartridge case, the 27 Nosler is the first new .277-caliber rifle cartridge since the .270 Winchester Short Magnum, which was introduced almost 20 years ago. Despite its relatively low B.C. My take away on all this number crunching? What I have come up with is the .270 Weatherby Magnum with a 135gr Sierra Matchking and 7828. Thats equal magnitude to 200fps less flatness! It nearly matches the ballistics of the Winchester Magnum, but does so in rifles with faster-twist barrels and modern powders that extend barrel life. No howitzers or tanks.). I would think this data is slightly skewed unless the bullets are shot out of the same length of barrels and the same practices of reloading. I have found that when talking about these large caliber hunting rounds, there is not a tremendous difference in bullet drop. It shoots as flat as a Kansas prairie and holds its velocity way out there. What a gentleman. But if it isnt, go read the article again. It is not always the caliber that is in question. If Ive left out an obvious winner or near winner, write in and state your case. The Government .45-70 can give you the perfect hunting experience as it is one of the top calibers used by hunters. This lets you focus on having only one caliber to maintain. Once again great effort appreciated. What caliber rifle shoots the farthest? As you can see, one of our gold standard flat-shooting cartridges (.270 Winchester) does not compare favorably with either of the Noslers or the Weatherby Magnum. A benefit of that, you can fing .308 ammo off-the-shelf for any practical application. Wind also affects bullets differently, and a cartridges ability to overcome these three forces makes it better or worse for shooting flat and far. Great information! Generally, a 300 Win Mag's 150 grain bullet delivers a 3,260 fps muzzle velocity, while its 180 grain bullet achieves approximately 3,000 fps. As for targeting game at extreme distances, yes, I realize there are thousands of dedicated, well-trained long range shooters who are as good at 1,000 yards as many of us are at 500 yards and some of us at 200 yards. Also, same bullet, but a .257 Wby Mag will also work if you hit the same velocities. 2023 Backfire LLC, a limited liability company headquartered in Utah, USA. the max load is the distance load. And they can change in your rifle and will change at different velocities. Aug 31, 2013. I'm trying to find the best round from the muzzle to 500yds as far as trajectory. All the following data was computer generated as if all loads were fired from a (simulated) dead flat (level) barrel, so these are pure drops. i've heard the .17 hmr are real flat shooting. At 500 yards, 5.56 will have roughly 339 ft-lbs of energy which drops to roughly 75 ft-lbs at 1,000 yards. etc. For flat shooting over a relatively close range you need a lot of velocity, BC doesn't matter that much over shorter distances. Twenty years ago, Winchester introduced the .270 WSM (Winchester Short Magnum). Well, theres really only one option in .22-caliber and thats the .224 Valkyrie. But lets take a quick look at a historically popular flat-shooting cartridge, the .270 Winchester. Thursday nights they do IDPA. Required fields are marked *. The drops are listed in feet for the really long range shots, so theyre pretty close to your numbers. Thanks again. The .22-250 is accurate, fast and delivers devastating performance at long ranges. Might be of interest and I have used the cartridge in a Ruger M77 with a 22 barrel. Our blog and video on the Flattest Shooting Cartridge Ever! The 6.5 PRC can remain supersonic out beyond 1,600 yards or so, but ammunition options are limited. via the Davenport formula. All Rights Reserved, My Group Therapy: Shooting Log Book | 100 pages (6"x9") | Record Target Shooting Data & Improve your Skills and Precision Paperback June 13, 2019. If youre after critters deer-size and up, the field is dominated by .30-caliber, 6.5mm, and 7mm cartridges, with the best long-range options remaining supersonic out to at least 1,400 yards. Many people found it informative, but some of the hunters wanted to know if you have any statistics available on the calibers as listed above. For optics, I use a Leupold Mark 6 with a Horus reticle. Introduced by Remington in 1962 along with their Model 700 bolt-action rifle, Remingtons Seven-Mag was the beginning of the end of Winchesters .264. For the Top 5 you have listed, what manufacturers offer a complete rifle in those calibers? First, some boundaries. At 500 yards, the 27 Nosler drops almost a foot less than Jack OConnors sacred cartridge. Required fields are marked *. Hornady's ELD line of bullets is considered the most precisely made, and the flattest shooting for any specific caliber. This cartridge is the .270 GIBBS and is based on the 30.06 case with the shoulder moved forward and at a 35 degree angle. By way of comparison, the .270 Winchester (based on the .30-06 Springfield) offers a case capacity of 67 grains. A 10 mph right angle wind at 500 yards can divert even a fast, high B.C. Check out ShootersCalculator.com By Adriel Bullet B.C. Somehow stumbled onto this article. What Ive done with this deep dive review is use the highest Handloading Manual velocities Ive discovered, trusting that you, gentle reader, will understand that your mileage may vary. throwing a 55-gr. Its clear that flat shooting is directly proportional to overbore. The quicker it gets to 200 yards the less time gravity has been working on it and the less it will drop. It outperforms the .280 Remington (also known as the 7mm-06 and the 7mm Express), and for years wildcatters and handloaders have been singing its praises. The muzzle velocity is a plus in windy conditions, with the bullet arriving on target with minimal drift. It was also a resounding success and has remained popular with hunters looking to stretch their effective range. Its also based on the 220 Russian/7.62x39mm Russian cartridge, but unlike the Valkyriewhich uses a 0.223-caliber bulletthe Grendel is yet another 6.5. Mag. The best long-range cartridges are those that are flat shooting, feature aerodynamic projectiles and have enough power to go the distance. The 26 Nosler cartridge was designed with the high ballistic coefficient (B.C.) With the exception of the 7mm Remington Magnum, cartridges of this diameter have never been as popular in America as they should bemaybe because this was the caliber of the Imperial German Army and the Nazis. This lead-free copper monolithic, fragmenting hollow-point Liberty Ammunition round is the next generation of one of the most popular hunting and long range rounds in existence. .468 BC, 1. It's muzzle v. It is capable of sending a 55-grain bullet from the muzzle at 3,700 fps. After Weatherbys 6.5-300 Magnum did not win as many hearts and minds as theyd hoped, Weatherby rethought the 6.5mm cartridge and developed the 6.5 RPM (Rebated Precision Magnum). Thanks Jim! That should be pretty close to flat. Whether or not thats true, my own success rate at 1,000 yards informs me to always stalk closer if I can and to forego shots at any distance unless Im supremely confident I can make them. Great info but my 7mm rem mag with Nosler 120 grain BT (.417bc) @ 3600fps has anything on this chart beat pretty soundly. Fast and flat shooting b#%ds. Good work mate. Hey there from Melbourne, Australia. The longer the bullet is in the air, the longer gravity can pull on the object. Before we check that out, lets give a nod to the 240 Wby. Federals EDGE TLR .270 Winchester is another outstanding option. Unfortunately, the .223 WSSM has fallen by the wayside in recent years. The rifle has five caliber offerings . Most often you just have to buy a Weatherby rifle to get one, and while that used to be an expensive proposition, its not anymore. For bigger game, I could easily hunt with either the 240 or 6.5-300 Weatherbys. It will be built on a stiller predator action, carbon wrap or #4 fluted stainless at 26 inches. I have used it also in a Ruger #1 with a 26 barrel and thoroughly enjoyed the distance it affords me. Its a top choice of military snipers and can launch heavy bullets with high speed and exceptional precision. I appreciate the kind comment. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. It will push a 90-grain Fusion bullet to 500 yardswhich is probably the limit for big game with this cartridgewhile still retaining enough velocity to initiate expansion. It is flat shooting, powerful, has a manageable amount of recoil, and there are dozens of great hunting rifles chambered in this outstanding cartridge. The best varmint rifles are capable of accurate, repeated medium to long range shots from a fixed position, and are usually found in light, fast calibers that have a flat trajectory. Mag. In other words, the 223 Remington throws the same bullets as the 220 Swift, but cant approach its maximum velocity, so theres no chance it can shoot as flat. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Up until that time, there had only really been two .277-caliber hunting cartridgesthe .270 Winchester and the .270 Weatherbyso the .270 WSM was almost immediately popular. Not a lot of difference in drops between the cartridges though; you need accurate yardage readings to get your drop correct. Hornady's Precision Hunter 145-grain ELD-X at 2,950 fps is the flattest-shooting .270 Winchester load. Underwood Ammos 110-grain Lehigh Controlled Chaos bullet at 2800 fps is another great option. .25-06 AI with a Berger 115 VLD that's moving 3,600 fps. None of them will turn you into a trained sniper, but if youve put in the range time and have the skills to stretch it out, these 10 cartridges have the reach and the thump to put game on the ground from the next canyon over. So it Im guessing to summarise it doesnt really matter what you shoot as long as you know distance to target & your maths The .204 will work quiet well at 500 yards with good shot placement. Mag. I also appreciate the realistic exposition of the relevant comparison between effects of flat-shooting cartridge vs judging cross-wind! Thus, the .50BMG drops less at 1,000 yards than the 6.5 Creedmoor. wins again with just 218.5 inches of drop, the 27 Nosler moves into second place with its 150-grain bullet falling only 225.8 inches. Shots are usually quick. It takes a lot of practice to learn the aim point to bring the rifle on target. With a muzzle velocity faster than 3000 fps, it offers great external and terminal ballistics. Time of flight impacts bullet drop more than anything else. Is it possible to show those on your web site list? When considering cartridges for their ability to shoot flat, overcoming drag is critical. Also know that not all manufacturer-claimed B.C. The Barrett 416 or CheyTac exceeds this - I have witnessed it first hand - then you get into the wildcat cartridges. Heck, I cant even find agreement on maximum muzzle velocities in handloading manuals from Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Berger, Swift, Hodgdon, Norma, Sierra, Barnes Furthermore, just because the manual lists those speeds does not mean your rifle will deliver them. Why? Here we go! A few specialty matches, such as the Farr trophy at Camp Perry, are fired at 1,000 yards. p.s. bullet twice that far. cleric; Jan 28, 2023; Bolt Action Rifles ; Replies 13 Views 475. This newer Weatherby 6.5 combines plenty of gas with manageable recoil. http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator. To be fair to the 30-378, itmurders everything else for flatness way out there, staying feet above most other cartridges and carrying enough energy to take a deer at just over 1000 yards. He just never made it official. Top muzzle velocities with the same combination of powder, primer, and bullet can vary by 100 to 200 fps. Because it was used in the Civil War, the term "flattest" is not an exact description. I mean, its the flattest shooting cartridge around, but you took a huge bump in recoil over the 300 win mag or even 270 WSM for 41 more usable yards of MPBR. 26 Nosler. I was once hunting plains game in Africa when my PH told me, holding a rangefinder, that the wildebeest was 155 yards away. If there was ever a cult cartridge, the .280 Ackley Improved is it. This article covered not only objective but the subjective topics my buddies use to caliber shame my 5.56. The flattest-shooting popular rifle cartridge at 1,000 yards is the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum, followed by the .26 Nosler, the .28 Nosler, the .22 Creedmoor, and the 6.5 Weatherby RPM. Since 1962, when the round was introduced in conjunction with the Remington 700, countless others have arrived at the same conclusion. BUCK DOYLE Preferred Caliber For 500 To 1,000 Yards And Beyond: .260 Remington (130-grain Berger AR Hybrid OTM . A highly accurate, easy to shoot rifle with a flat trajectory will make for confident hunting. A rifle is suitable for flat shooting as long as the 500-yard impact range of the rifle falls below the 40''. In ballistic terms, a 235-grain .375 bullet at 3,000 fps exits the muzzle with lots of energy: 4,695 ft-lbs. If the hunter is looking for a flat shooting caliber with good energy and speed of distances around 400-yards, then the .270 would be the obvious choice. I have neither the scientific knowledge nor mathematical skills to figure out the perfect blend of factors that produces the flattest trajectory winner. Prairie dogs?). Good points, which are all things Ive considered. | Below is a chart indicating the three best flat-shooting cartridges and their muzzle velocity, drop, energy levels, and felt recoil. Notice that it is only 3 grains lighter than the 150-grain .264 atop that Weatherby. While there are not a lot of ammunition choices for the 6.8 Western, there are some good ones. With the 30-06, we can only overcome 12 yards of ranging error at the same range before we miss the 6 of vitals. It will push a 90-grain Fusion bullet to 500 yardswhich is probably the limit for . For 500 yards just raise the cross hair up to the top of the back but stay in the hair and have a sharp knife ready. I prefer larger calibers for elk, but the .270 is perfectly adequate for elk, and I have personally used it for elk all the way to 400 yards with no problems. From an external ballistics standpoint, it cannot compete with any of the cartridges on this list, but in the field where it matters, it works wonders, and only the 6.5 Creedmoor has less recoil. A flat shooting cartridge matters. In 2022, he was named as the brands Shooting Editor. Thanks Will! They have 1 particular cartridge thats something of a hot-shot for flat shooting, long distance devastation; the Weatherby .30-378. With todays ammunition, its even better. Take another look. Yeah, yeah, I know theyre cartridges and not calibers, but lots of people call them calibers so I thought Id roll with it. Forums. Unless youre shooting really far. UPS has officially stopped shipping guns? always means more wind deflection. 6.5mm and 7mm projectiles offer very high ballistic coefficients, meaning they offer excellent ability to overcome drag and wind deflection over longer distances. Based on the now almost-forgotten .284 Winchester, the 6.5-284 Norma was originally a wildcat cartridge and a very popular one, especially in bench-rest competitions. Fun? Obviously this list doesnt include every possible bullet/BC/MV combination, but it gives us a pretty good picture of the likely winners at three distances. The Chey-Tac M200 Intervention is the bolt-action rifle built to handle this round, and shooters have been documented firing a group of 3 shots within 16 inches at 2,321 yards. Love it Jim ! Indeed, some deer also live in places where a 50-yard shot is much more likely than a 500-yard shot. And while that pokey 300 grain 338 Lapua round drops quite a bit compared to the others in the list, its carrying a lot of energy: enough to take a deer at 1775 yards. gundata.org has done all this for you already. A big 7mm like the 7rum can put a 140 with nearly a .500 bc downrange at over 3500 fps or a 120 with about a .400 bc in the 3600+ fps range. This is more a theory question than anything. Perhaps you, dear reader, can provide the formula! (Essentially, you don't have to arc the 300 Win Mag's bullet trajectory in order to strike a target up . Wondering if anyone can find anything flatter within that range, suitable to kill a whitetail deer with? Find out which ones made the cut. Most of these are all-around cartridges intended for variety of CXP2 and CXP3 class game that offer an adequately flat trajectory for antelope hunting with appropriate loads (usually the lighter weight bullets .

Laurie Fortier Flutie, Articles F