454 vortec performance upgrades454 vortec performance upgrades

But like any stock engine, there was tons of power left to be squeezed out. I list that this RV was originally equipped with a 4.63 rear gear ratio and a tire size of 225/70R19.5. From my experience, the HyperTech programmer for those engines is pretty generic and does not make very many changes in the programming. For this test, the motor was configured with an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake and Holley 750 carburetor. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Even better than the big peak gains was the fact that the cam swap . That extra air entering your engine must go somewhere; a full aftermarket exhaust system like this is always beneficial to fuel efficiency, especially when combined with a freer-flowing intake. 454 Vortec Reliability and Ownership Guide, Pre-Purchase Inspection: What to look out for, crate version of the 454 big block from Chevy, 1996-2000 Chevrolet/GMC C/K GMT-400 platform trucks 2500/3500, 1996-1999 Chevrolet Suburban 2500/GMC Suburban 2500, 1996-2000 Chevrolet Express ( & 1 ton versions), 19982001 Chevrolet Kodiak/GMC TopKick/Isuzu H-Series 4500 5500, Larger Fuel Injectors and Fuel Pump Regulator. Vortech Superchargers The 8th digit of your VIN is the letter "D" which designates your engine as a 7.4L LP4 which is different from a normal L29 7.4L. CHEVROLET 7.4L/454 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing Departments Restoration Stock Replacement Street Rod Shop Departments Air & Fuel Delivery Books/Videos/Software Brake Systems Chassis & Suspension Cooling & Heating Engines & Components Exhaust Exterior & Accessories Fasteners & Hardware Fittings & Hoses Gaskets & Seals Build your own custom newsletter with the content you love from Street Muscle, directly to your inbox, absolutely FREE! It is $495 if your sending your core/pcm in first. These 454 7.4L engines tend to respond pretty well to camshaft changes with good grinds that are designed to produce low and mid-range rpm torque increases. Our tuning is custom to your vehicle so if you ever did have a dealer flash the computer it would wipe out the performance settings and revert to stock. A restrictive or clogged air filter makes the engine work harder to breathe, which reduces efficiency. Having tried the things you already have, I am pretty confident the issue is the PCM. thanks, Hey i have a 1997 chevy k2500 7.4 manual nv4500 trans 3.73 engine bone stock with 45,678 on rebuild with a working good ecm is tunning a question if so how much $. This mod will not be inexpensive or simple to execute, but it will pay for itself if you do a lot of towing or drive a lot of miles. We have no issues with tuning a higher mileage engine as long as it is in good running condition. m) at 3200 rpm. It will not void your factory warranty, and does not modify any emissions systems. The L29 454 was originally rated at 290 hp and 440 lb-ft of torque thanks to a combination of fuel injection, large oval-port heads (to replace the peanut ports used in the previous Gen V motors) and a slightly higher static compression ratio. Normally, advancing the distributor would increase octane sensitivity and possibly fuel economy, but the upgraded ignition system will allow you to do so without adversely affecting fuel burn or horsepower. This is a lie. If it is a 1998 then yes you can. With the intercooler assembly in place, we once again ran the blown big block in anger with amazing results. Our typical turn around time is 2-3 business days. Truth be told, Vortech offered a number of Maxflow Aftercooler systems but we selected an intercooler core we had on hand for testing. With our tuning, peak horsepower is at about 3500 RPM and peak torque is about 2500 RPM. We measured our stock iron heads right out of the box and the retainer-to-seal clearance was only .470-inch. The budget portion of the equation came from a 7.4L Gen VI big-block Chevy straight out of the local wrecking yard. 2023 Power Automedia. Is this enough information to create a tune or will you need more information? The K&N raises the horsepower of your 5.7 Vortec crate engine by 45 percent. If you can supply me with your VIN and any part #'s that are on the ECM I can do some research. We wanted to make sure the air/fuel and timing curves were spot on before running the supercharged monstrosity in anger. $199.95. I THINK I want a diesel until I look at the prices. In an effort to further drop the inlet air temps, we installed a makeshift air-to-water intercooler. If so, is that the unit that sits above the radiator of a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser V32 w/ L29 7.4l (454ci) Vortec? I fought this truck with the cats deleted and air pump disabled. At the relay the Orange wire is hot with 12 volts continually. 1999 Crew cab dually, 454 vortec, AUTOMATIC. Parts overview- James L29 Vortec 454 build Ep2 - YouTube 0:00 / 19:37 Parts overview- James L29 Vortec 454 build Ep2 20,387 views Oct 10, 2019 391 Dislike Share Save Dick Hamm 4.68K. FULL RESULTS-GEN 5 454 UPGRADE-STOCK PEANUT PORT HEADS. Only a set of dyno headers and an electric water pump were different. Do you have any videos of how to locate and remove my ECM? 1 cat is gone already and the other is gutted i am taking it off next week when i get a chance. What type of gains could I expect with a tune for this? This engine series was utilized on Chevrolet and GMC large truck models such as the Suburban from 1996 through 2001. All fuel injector specifications meet or exceed the manufacturer's specification standard. We would reprogram yours and put it in a new case so it looks nice! To find out just how much the 30-year-old behemoth could muster, they took it to Westech Performances dyno room. Marks spare time was heavily consumed by reading automotive magazines and wondering how in the heck people could land a job testing cars all day. the Vortec 7400 (454) that came in that suburban is one hell of an engine, there are also many things you can do to get more mileage and power out of it. Prices increase after 2/28. I have a 2000 7.4 with a bigger cam cold air kit dual exhaust better mass air flow senser and roller tip rockers can u tune that as well or do you just do stock stuff, I have a 99 k 3500 Chevy 1 ton with 454 5 speed.will your computer tune work in my truck and can I expect 40+hp gain? At this point the engine run well, with no code problems. I am considering doing an EGR delete and I wasn't sure if this would accommodate that or if it will still throw a check engine light. The 4300 was GMs first Vortec-engine V6, released in 1986 and designed for trucks. I'm sorry, we can't tune anything prior to 1996 model year. It has an ohv configuration with two valves per cylinder and a bore and stroke of 4.24 inches x 3 on the intake side. Project Boneyard Boost was one of those rare occasions where we got to apply a massive infusion of power to a motor that cost next to nothing. Will the UltraPower tune, give me the "best bang for my buck" performance increase? HotCars covers all things automotive: the latest auto news and informative reviews on the car, pickup truck and motorcycle industries. It was produced as a gas alternative to the new Duramax LB7 diesel, offering a high-torque gas engine capable of towing just about anything. Warmed up at idle the gauge is reading 1200RPM then put it into drive holding the brake and its reading about 1000RPM. See listing details. Install an aftermarket windage tray in your engine. They said they no longer support my RV and had no parts available. im wanting /needing power and torque. As I understand it I do not have the newer 0411 ECM and these have better processing power but need to be repinned. For GM vehicles, the Vortec variant increased power by 60 horses. PART NO. I have been watching lots of posts and things get carried away very quickly about getting big big hp. Precision Auto Injectors Genuine Delphi 12568155 12586557 GM Fuel Injectors Set of 6 2004-2007 GM 3.5L OHV. It would be a good idea to re-tune for the Banks and injection systems. 3. Check if this part fits . I just put the k&N system on my truck made a huge difference in sound and performance I would deffanitly recomend spending the $250. Thanks. Is this doable? The greater the power gains, the bigger the budget. Can you reprogram and net me the same HP & TQ numbers as the L29? I dont have the 2000 VIN only the VIN from my 1995. It may or may not have a decal on the ECM depending on if they did a mail order tune or came in to our shop. Also, is shipping included both ways? I have the 411. The banks system will give you 70hp and 85lb-ft. We've had a lot of issues with 1996 & 1997 PCM's so for the moment we are not tuning those. Don't worry about what a camshaft may produce at 4000-5000 rpms in truck engines like this - YOU DON"T DRIVE THERE! Most generic tuners only change very basic parameters within the computer, whereas UltraPower Tuning changes approximately 400 parameters including both engine AND transmission settings. So if I have your tune done what is the turn around time sending my PCM to you? Feel free to call me with your vin # handy if you would like to get your order in. Explore Our Forums. Oil tends to collect on the crankshaft counterweights, adding weight to the rotating assembly (crankshaft, rods and pistons) and reducing horsepower through parasitic drag. The General Motors 7400 is the name given to a 7.4-liter Vortec engine produced by GM from 1996 until 2001 as a truck engine. There is a small red wire that has never been connected to anything. We require the VIN so that we can pull up your vehicle's specific parameters and create a truly customized tune for your vehicle. You can expect about 40-45 horsepower and 45-50 lb-ft torque increase with much better throttle response, crisp shifts and there is a reduction in the "TQ Management". If you want to take full advantage of the cam swap then a custom tune will be needed to address that. Using 3.5-inch aluminum tubing from CXRacing, we configured the intercooler between the YSI supercharger and the blow-through carburetor bonnet. The 7.4L was originally offered in three versions: the LS5, LS6, and LS7 (which was never offered as a factory option to the general public). The cooler charge air (plus tubing length and bends) dropped the peak boost pressure from 19.1 psi down to 17.7 psi. Buy in monthly payments with Affirm on orders over $50. In the end, we selected a 1999 Gen VI 454 and pulled it from its home in the engine bay of a 1-ton work truck. This ignition system upgrade will allow you to set your distributor for a little more timing advance. The 1993-or-so design FEAD has been shown the clear the factory hood. Though larger than the previous 7.4L models, the unique 8.1L could not utilize the amazing array of performance parts available for the previous three conventional big-block models. Et si je devrai faire recalibrer mon ecm? Aftermarket hood are hit and miss, we did find that the integrated airbox arrangement of the Suncoast hood played havoc with clearances that were confirmed to fit within the factory underhood bracing. I assume the module is a pre-programmed ECM chip that replaces the stock ECM chip. This thing is weak as water. Thanks. The Chevrolet 454 was phased out in most passenger vehicles by 1975, but it remained a viable power plant in heavy-duty Chevrolets until 1996. Vise grip, needle-nose and standard pliers. Primary or Expansion Gauges And Upgrade Kits (52mm) For 2008+ OBDII CAN bus vehicles, Upgrading SIx-Gun, Economind, and SpeedBrake, or use with BBus Sensor Modules. BBK is your Number One Aftermarket Performance Brand in the USA - American Designed and Built . We can adjust for speedometer error. no. If I send yall Parts list of what kind of cam, injectors, pistons, etc. I think they were made before Chevy started using real tornados. Yes, as long as it is a "J" (8th digit of the VIN) Vortec 7.4L, we can tune it. The C/K 3500's standard engine is a 5.7-liter V8 OHV 16-volt FI engine, and the 454 engine comes as an optional upgrade. 90 and older is particularly bad and that is largely due to NO OVERDRIVE. These modifications will help to generate more horsepower without adversely affecting fuel efficiency, which will ultimately increase net mileage. Is it not the same motor from 96 to 2001. Technical Specifications: No filter cleaning required for up to 100,000 miles. It has an ohv configuration with two valves per cylinder and a bore and stroke of 4.24 inches x 3 on the intake side. torque so it will definitely be able to hold the upper gears better when hill climbing and have improved acceleration. Learn more. A cold air induction setup will feed the engine cooler and more oxygen-dense air. The terms ECM, PCM, and VCM are all used to describe the engine computer by various manufacturers, yours is located above the radiator . Chevrolet Performance 10141280 Part Number: 809-10141280 Chevrolet Performance L29 Vortec Cast Iron Cylinder Head L29 Vortec Cast Iron Cylinder Head 1991-2000 Big Block Chevy Gen V/VI Engines Only Bare Head Sold Individually View Details $756.99 Ships on 03/02/23 FREE Shipping Lowest Price Guarantee Add To Cart That extra air going into your engine needs to get out somehow; installing a full aftermarket exhaust system like this is always good for more fuel economy, especially when combined with a freer-flowing intake. That is the difference between cookie-cutter and custom! Would we still get the good price when you get more control modules in stock? Is there any way I could send you that one as a core in return for one to work in my 2000? I am ready to pull the trigger if I continue to run 87 octane fuel. I have the parts list and see one item called 01-412-8 hyd roller cam for $315. . It wasnt the best moment to put out a big cubic inch big block designed for performance vehicles, but the Chevy 454 made an impact. Check out their web sight Bankspower.com Surprisingly, the 454 laid down an impressive 330 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque. Vehicle Monitoring and data-logging like no other! Are the tunes generic or do you change different things for different people? Surprisingly, the 454 laid down an impressive 330 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque. Also how much benefit do you think I would gain by going aftermarket catback exhaust. Injector type: US-CAR, saturated. If powertrain performance projects and hardcore technical content are your interest, Power & Performance News is the publication designed for you. I have a uhaul topkick with the 7.4. what does this do at emission inspections?? It is unlikely that the Vortec 454 accessories will clear the hood. All above engines equipped wit Hydraulic Roller Lifters. Buy your ELGIN Industries HL-7003S Hydraulic Roller Valve Lifters set at Amazon. Elgin Industries set of (16) Hydraulic Roller Valve Lifters compatible replacements for Big Block Chevy GMC & Pontiac engines. Switch to a lightweight synthetic oil. Whether the kit is intended for stock replacement or racing, various levels of compression will allow for improved performance with emphasis on top-end power and high RPM. Any thoughts from you technical guys? Chevrolet Performance's 454 HO crate engine is a Big-Block bargain - an affordable engine with performance specs that will make you think it's 1970 all over again. We CAN tune the engine computer with our UltraPower tuning to get more performance but we MUST have you send your PCM in to us for programming as it has a unique PCM that we don't have cores for. The results: 567 horsepower and 537 pound-feet of torque on 89-octane pump gas! The Vortec 8100 was built off of the GM 454 engine platform, also known as the 7.4 Vortec. Very interested in this. Yes, we can tune your ECM. Oxygen sensor modifications can be done. Can you tune my new 2000 ECM and will it work without the original key and ignition harness. Right now I have a CAI, 2" full length headers, 3" dual exhaust and EGR delete. Distributors cap and rotor kit features brass inserts and stainless steel rotor springs,designed to provide the best possible fit to ensure maximum conductivity between the distributor towers and spark plug wires,prevents arc through and crossfire. There are a lot of variables that play into the exact gains we can achieve but I would say somewhere around 45-50 HP and 60 Ft Lb. These modifications will improve net mileage without sacrificing power, resulting in better overall mpg. I plan on the injector and ignition work done in march. Switched to Mass-Air Flow. Whats the stock numbers on a Vortec 454? Check if this part fits . Install a high-flow air filter and a cold air intake. my ecm has to be replaced. Thanks. These fit: 1966-1998 Chevrolet & GMC 6.0L, 1970-2000 Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac & Mercruiser Marine 7.4L 454, 2001-2009 Chevrolet & GMC 8.1L , Also fits Mercury Marine Big Block 7.4L, 8.1L & 8.2L Engines. Can I tune it myself later with my own tuner or is it still a black box like the oem? Also how much horse power and torque do these motors have stock? Buy your Chevrolet Performance 454 crate engine from JEGS High Performance today! They left all the original parts in place like the two-barrel carburetor and dilapidated ignition system. To further improve power, we also upgraded the stock hydraulic roller camshaft with an XM284HR from COMP Cams that offered .547 lift, a 230/236-degree duration split and 112-degree lsa. It was not a good moment to debut a big cubic-inch big block designed for performance vehicles, but the Chevy 7.4 made an impact nonetheless. Some differences are: 1. The GM 7.4L UltraPower ECM has long been the ultimate performance modification you can make to your GM 7.4L powered RV or truck with the highest power gains on the market! BBK Power Plus 80 millimeter Throttle Body for GM Vortech 305/350/454 for all BBK 1996-1999 GM Vortec 305, 350, 454 throttle bodies are designed to increase airflow and improve horsepower from between 7-12 HP depending on the vehicle and . Will this correct my RPM gauge issue? Is the pcm that is used a 411? I know that my question is very reduntant but I need to ask it .I pull a trailer and want a little more tow po1wer. When taken together, this fairly inexpensive approach can be good for noticeable gains in fuel economy. Buy your Painless Performance 60211 Standard Length MPFI Harness for 1996-2000 GM Vortec 7.4L V8 at Amazon! The main improvements will be improved shifting and overall more torque to pull hills. We have been doing them on a limited basis, it has been very challenging to find good cores to use. Engineered specifically compatible with General Motors Vortec V8 engines,specifically compatible with General Motors Vortec V8 engines,Offering the quality,reliability,durability. 1996 c3500 dually 7.4 with 5 speed. It is an all-iron engine (block and heads . Yes, this would be the compatible ECM with your VIN and part #. I just purchased your UltraPower GM / Workhorse 1998-2000 7.4L Vortec (454) Custom Tuning. That model of 454 is alot diffrent then gen 1..It wont take a normal cam and theres some other diffrences that kinda limit what can be done to it.im sure someone will chime in with specifics Yes, it's a OE roller camshaft block and 1 piece gasket crank. The proper application of boost to any motor is never inexpensive, and our Vortech YSI supercharger was not what could be considered low-buck, but it was epic in its effectiveness. We have a complete Banks Power System and Banks Air Flow. We don't however specialize in forced induction applications so we would not be able to help you with that. I will be sending you my ECU. Is it actually running at that RPM or just showing that? Could you do a downstream 02 sensor delete? Probably cause no cats. After selecting a motor, we set about making the necessary changes for our test. Its 567 horsepower of usable, reliable, fun power that anybody on a budget can build. Pace Performance Products in Ohio put together a decent upgrade. The stock Vortec iron head will not tolerate more than .440-inch lift. If you can find this PCM in a salvage yard or from a different type of vehicle that uses the same, we can likely program it to your vehicle for you. Another popular upgrade is changing to Bosch 4 hole injectors. Great motor and runs strong with gobs of TQ. This is a crew cab, 8 foot bed. I've noticed a significant performance uptick, but it seems to fall flat in the upper mid-range, almost seems like it could use a MSD multi spark discharge, I don't know, but I'm considering having a dyno test to see what is happening. Well, they can be had stupidly cheap, not counting the extra work it takes to remove the engine and then dispose of the lifeless RV. Buy in monthly . . Every horsepower subtracted as a result of parasitic drag is one less horsepower that wont help your truck travel down the road. We modify this so that it is still "safe" but definitely wakes the truck up. can you tune it Perform with these upgrades, We would like to have ordered the 7.4 custom tune ,but appearantly you are out of stock at the moment.Is there any time frame when you will have more modules.I would like to send you mine but I need my vehicle.Also we would like to have had the reasonable price. We set all the parameters in the PCM, so you will not have a way to make adjustments on your end. When reliability and performance can't be compromised, you want TXL Wire - not the inexpensive primary wire you find in other harnesses; High strand count copper and high-quality insulation makes for high abrasion resistance and easy routing. as much as possible im going to do a cam exhaust and injectors and intake so my questions are what do you think my gain would be with your pcm and can it be piggy backed with a plug in tuner thanks matt, would i be able to get a retune if i add a cam after, and what is the turn around time, thanks. Do you still tune the 96 ecm? I've made several performance upgrades myself, but are always looking for something better. The great thing about using a blow-though carburetor combination is the intercooling effect you get from the introduction of fuel. "SE" Special Edition Tuning Kit For MerCruiser 454 & 502 Magnum MPI Engines. BBK Performance Parts 1710-XD GM VORTEC 305/350/454 80MM POWER PLUS THROTTLE BOD. Please contact us directly to set that up at 800-417-4559. I am in a non emissions state My 98 GMC K2500 L29 7.4 litre has 2.5" true dual exhaust with pro Flowmax mufflers an X-Pipe, cat delete but still has both upstream and both downstream o2 sensors. In 1996, when all of GMs models received excellent reviews due to a new range of engines that added power, every one of its vehicles were praised by clients. It can be done fairly cheap , power for days and 15-20mpg, I repeat. Overall Length: 3 inches, 74 mm. Do you offer anything for the 5.3? And i was wondering what benefits will i see with my 454 i have a new jasper motor with upgraded injectors and full exhaust. He could even be found working on tractors or hay bailers while on vacation at his uncles farm. Hello I have 2000 GMC k3500 Truck. We appreciate it but we only specialize in the big block engines. Solenoid resistance: 12.5 Ohms. Edlebrok performance heads with factory Combustion chamber size 100-110cc, valves set for .700 lift, I-2.190 E-1.880, 3/8" guideplates : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60499/ GM Vortec EGR blockoff plate p/n is 12554606. Also the torque management. I am of the same opinion that the UltraPower programming is going to be by far your best "bang for the buck". Just worth mentioning. We'll send you the most interesting Street Muscle articles, news, car features, and videos every week. The same 290 horsepower that was standard for all GM cars in 1980 was maintained throughout the decade.

Mendota Reporter Obits, Articles OTHER